World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put 20lb fireline onto a f/s reel for spinning. what backing line should I use. Only casting 10/40 grams.:g:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I usually use cheap 10-12lb mono. Something un expensive such as ultima Seastrike does the job. A good tip is to wrap the backing mono in a thin layer of electrical tape, leaving a 3ft piece of mono through to tie your braid onto. i find that this way the braid doesn't cut back into the mono and gets a better more even ay on the spool.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Well I must be a real tight a*** cause I use wool or anything else bulk I can find to fill the spool with then a couple of turns of electrical tape and hey presto a shallow spool ! Only ever once come close to getting near to the tape with a fish and that was a mean old pike that decided it wanted to try white water swimming and was faster than me down the bank ! 17lber she was and as miserable as my mother when she realised she started the fire with a winning lottery ticket !

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I tend to use the old spools of mono I have lying about. The ones where there isn't enough to fill a reel. But hey thats the scotsman in me :D

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I only used that because my local shop were selling large 1000m+ spools of it for £2. I thought it may be rotten and perhaps no use for casting, snobbery more like as i prefer premium fishing lines. But for the price it serves the purpose well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I must be a real tight a*** cause I use wool or anything else bulk I can find to fill the spool with then a couple of turns of electrical tape and hey presto a shallow spool ! Only ever once come close to getting near to the tape with a fish and that was a mean old pike that decided it wanted to try white water swimming and was faster than me down the bank ! 17lber she was and as miserable as my mother when she realised she started the fire with a winning lottery ticket !

Doesnt this imply that manufacturers are making the spools too deep?

Why do they do this if most of the line never leaves the spool?

Is there a technical reason or is a "just in case some anglers can cast 300metres"? Or for boat fishing maybe?

Paulie

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Doesnt this imply that manufacturers are making the spools too deep?
Not really as you may want to use mono on the reel especially if you're fishing somewhere where abrasion is a real problem such as fishing amongst coral. A deeper spool allows you the option.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
i make my spools shallower when using braid by building them out with electricials tape. you can also tune the line lay at the same time. i found the when using 15lb line and 14lb braid that over time the braid went under the line and asctualy pushed the joining knot up causing the line to catch on it when casting.

to get over this i taped over the knot a few times with elec tape to stop the braid going under it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts