World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend & I went over on the day ferry from Fleetwood yesterday looking forward to a good days fishing, albeit not nice weather. Initially fished next to some blue railings off where the ferries dock in Douglas looking towards the little island with the tiny castle. Local guys there working told us it was a good spot for coalies, mackerel etc... & only needed to cast 40 yards plus to avoid rocks. Joined by a couple of others who had come over to fish also. Soon realised it was not a good idea as we all got stuck and began losing tackle no matter how far we cast.
My friend & I then went round to fish off where the lighthouse is on the battery. A local was fishing there and we were told it was allowed (there is a fish ID chart on the wall). Looked good casting towards the open sea. The Local packed in just after we set up. Had only cast out once when a small trawler came in well away from us down the main channel, but then turned & slowly came over towards where we were fishing & it became obvious why, as there was no reason other than to cut accross my line (which they did) turn and nearly took my gear in. Luckily I grabbed the rod in time & as it bent double the line snapped. He then headed back out towards the middle and carried on to dock by the wall. I was angry and had had enough, so we packed in. We then had to walk past them to get off the area & as we appraoched one of them was swinging my tackle & sarcastically said "sorry lads, didn't see you fishing there" & handed me back 3 foot of leader and my terminal tackle. Not seen us - Yeah right!!! Didn't want any trouble so thanked (?) him and we spent the rest of the day wandering Douglas (urgh!!).
No intention of ever going back over there as the most unfriendly locals I have ever come accross!
My apologies to any decent locals over there on this forum, pity we hadn't met you instead.

Phil :headhurt::uhuh:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure am Steve, I'm winding myself down now and then back up to full steam for Saturday - bring it on!!!

Phil :boxing:

·
Registered
457 Posts
.... Hard luck Phil, at least you got out there and tried anyway (doubt you missed much here) There's always next time!
Tight lines for Sat night
Billy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bit of a harsh day there Phil.

If you got a mugshot of the trawlerman I'll send the missus across to bite his ankles :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Unlucky phil maybe next time still a bad days fishing, beats work any day tight lines ............tony c

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
:rtfm:How much was the ferry phil ...............tony c

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was only £19 return Tony, one of 2 special trips the IOM Steam Packet did. They have no plans to bring back regular sailings from Fleetwood due to the cost and poor facilities, which is a shame.

Phil

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
youv'e realy got to get over there in a car phil , it's the only way to do the island justice , there is some great fishing around ramsey and the point of ayre

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you're right Cupboardlad & we should have planned better, but time restriction was an issue on a short day trip. Anyway I have established contact with a friendly angler over there since we got back who has offered to help with marks/advice should we return (hopefully for a longer spell), which has restored my faith in the good folk on the Island. Clearly we were unfortunate in just having one of those days & choosing not the best places to go at not the best time.

Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
sorry to hear about your bad experience. sadly there are a&&holes all over the place these days. next time your over here shout me. if its nice weather you can join me on the boat for a spot of fishing wel away from the dicks on the harbour.
cheers - martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts