World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
set of this morning at 7 to fish eskmeals side of ravenglass estuary mouth was a bit rough to try to get off the heads safely (st bees)
got there and the yellow flag was flying
nature reserve closed to the public
access by permission at the gate house
for those of you that dont know the area eskmeals is a testing ground for BIG GUNS wich they fire out to sea.
so after a quick crack with the gatehouse it was a no go
firing was going on for most of the morning
so we decided to go and fish w/haven pier
we got there an hour before high water and had the west pier to ourselves
lug was the bait pumped fresh yesterday
between my fishing buddy and myself we had 22 fish
whiteing, rockling, dabs, flounder, cod, coley, and a right ugly looking thing steve said it was a bull head ?wide mouth big head kinda looked like a gurnard in some respect and others a monk fish
cod was to three pound but had a sore on its back coley about 1lb couple of whiteing bout 3/4 of a pound and a couple of flounder 1/2 to 1lb
the rest just small stuff
well were of for some more bait might fish tomorrow not sure
all in all i enjoyed the fishing nice to catch diffrent species

tight lines everyone

·
Registered
3 Posts
have fished from dinghy out of ravenglass for 10 years or so 80s 90s, we only went on sundays or bank holidays !!! our mark was selker rocks which meant
passing thro the firing zone........!(has anyone fished there lately by the way)
pleased to hear you had a good day at whitehaven,do you think shop bought black lug is much use..? it catches from the boat,but codling will eat owt when theyre going.

·
Registered
88 Posts
that thing with the wide mouth & big head you were on about, Robin Riggs had`nt fell in off the west pier had he??????????only joking, glad you had a good day, nowt in the way of mackeral or bass yet eh...wont be long........

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lampray eh ?
heard of them rekon they make good bait very bloody
shop baught lug, cant beat the fresh stuff in my opinion
though place love the snotty stuff.
i am just starting fishing again after a ten year break
fly fished a lot on the river ehen that runs through egremont were i live and fished the stocked ponds for rainbow trout
moffat in scotland is a good fishery nowt under four pound outa there
but sea fishing is less exspensive and right on my doorstep so hence me takeing it up again plus sick of buying it

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Was this your fish? This is a long spined bullhead.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that looks the same
horrible little bugger
cheers m8

fished maryport for a couple of hours today off the pier
nothing happening high water so we tried w/haven pier after a couple of hours the fishing was the same
maybe try again tomorrow
been on the beer for 2 days the sea air blew all the cobwebs out today jus what i needed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts