World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7 of us went out of Cemaes bay in Anglesey this weekend and it was the worst charter we have ever been on!

None of us are seasoned anglers but we arent total green horns, we go out 4 or 5 times year and I have a Warrior 175 and go out of Knottend so I have a decent understanding of when to fish and tides etc but unfortunalty the skip played us for fools.

The price of the charter was 250 a day and based on 8 to 10 hours. I have fished from Cameas Bay before and they are limited by the tide so to get a good start on the tide the Skip has to moor the boat in the bay and you row out to it.

When we arrived on Friday night the weather was a nightmare, it was blowing a good 20mph SW so we didnt expect to get out. We met up with the skip in the morning and he said, Oh no probs we'll get out, due to the weather the boat was still in the harbour so we would only get out an hour before high tide, he said there is a small bay which has some shelter. I thought that it was probably not worth the cash however we were there to fish so we thought we would have a go. There was another charter there "Cat Fish" and the skip really didnt want to go out either but his lads did so they came to the same place.

It was a poor days fishing, maybe a dozen small dogfish. We were out about 4 and half hours but the forcast was good for Sunday so we lived in hope.

The wind dropped off by the middle of Saturday evening and there wasn't a wave in the sea, we were staying on a campsite on the headland so had a good view of the harbour and the sea. High tide was around 12:50pm on the sunday so we made our way down to the harbour about 7:45 and the boat was in the dock!!! This meant we would not get out till at least 11 and high tide was 12:50!

Whist waiting we were speaking to Cat Fish skipper and he told us he only charged his lads £160 beacuse there were only out 5 hours and he used no fuel as he was only round the corner in the bay, we thought thats sounds OK, later I asked the skip about our charges and he keept avoiding the question, keept sayign we will stay ou till 7 to make up for the short day yesterday, this really worried me because 1/ I didn't fancy staying out 6 hours past high tide and 2/ even if we did stay out till 7 it would still only be a 8 hour charter so how did he plan to make up the short day??

He then had the cheek to tell us he looked out the window at 7am and it was too windy to moor the boat in the harbour, I was furious! We were camping! had he forgoten we were camping! the sea was flat calm from 8pm Sat evening to that very point!

Later on the charter he mentioend he was in the stag drinking till gone 1 saturday night!

We got out at 12! he rushed us to a mark and we instantly starting knocking pollack in, we had 20 mins, hit about 20 fish then the skip rushed us off to a Huss mark, he was really rushing, we got 20 mins at the huss mark before the water started to run, pulled in 2 huss, 1 around 9lb one around 12lb.

Then that was it, the days fishing was over, we didnt hit another fish and everytime we mentioned going in he ignored us, tried to keep us out as long as possible. We even ran out of Mackrel and one guy said can we use Pollock and the Skip said yeah you can use anything!.. He keep looking at our catch, about 10 pollack that we could keep and saying, good day lads good day.

When we eventualy manged to get him to take us back in we talked money and he wanted the lot! Said it didnt matter what catfish was charging, which I do agree with but I dont agree with paying £250 for a 4.5 hours fishing trip 2 mins from the harbour!

At one point after everyone was down on the fishing he put some rigs on some of his own rods then passed them out to some of the guys, said try these. Later he told me, I'll knock of the rod hire!!!!

Like I say we are not seasoned anglers however we are not fools, we would not have been bothered if we had gone out for 2 days and caught nothing if the skipper was just honest with us, I cant go into everythign he said but he just fed us line after line after line.... Fortunatly for the skipper we are not the type of people to kick up a fuss, we just paid the guy walked away and will never be returning.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The only way to deal with this sort of skipper(i use the term loosely) is to name and shame, then hopefully he won't be able to relieve other anglers of large amounts of their hard earned:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had two trips out of this little port and both have been a shambles. I don't feel comfortable naming and shaming the charter.....but it wasn't Catfish........more er, well puppets on strings/Steve Irwin's nemesis.
We didn't have issues with payment or fishing time (and I won't accuse the skipper of being dishonest), just a lack of effort to locate fish. Both times we were plonked on a bank about 1 mile off Cemlyn and sat in the one spot all day despite a lack of bites. We asked several times for a change of mark but were given lists of excuses as to why we couldn't move-some sounded plausible but, others were nonsense. The skipper sat in the wheel-house and slept, waking periodically to look in the fish boxes before returning to his slumber. He did make some tea though! Now I don't mind blanking-it happens- and I wouldn't question the skippers expertise or local knowledge but, I am sure he could have tried a little harder for us.....20 minutes steam each way to a single mark is not a big effort!

Both trips left us feeling a little disappointed at having sat in one place and caught next to nothing (a few huss and plenty of dogs). The trips we took can't compare with charters i've taken with Colin Penny on Flamer out of Weymouth who worked tirelessly to find us fish, moving frequently and constantly communicating with the clients-even when times were hard I had to applaud his determination and never felt like I was handing over cash for nothing.
We are now planning on using My Way out of Holyhead who we have heard nothing but rave reviews about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts