World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some lovely weather over here this week. Got a little colder, but still mild as you like considering it's January. And some excellent news, in that bass fishing restrictions have been approved locally so the species is finally getting some local protection. We are very lucky with our fishery here already, so this is a huge development as it can obviously only make the fishing better.

Last year I'd say 90% of my softie fishing was with soft plastics. I think I have less success with FBM's than pretty much any other lure angler in the entire world, so it was SGS eels and some others that accounted for almost all of my softie-caught fish, I don't tend to bother with Black Minnows the majority of the time. In fact, I caught 7 separate species last year with Savage eels alone so there's not often a lot of need to move to anything else. But a lot of my regular fishing mates are far keener on shads, and I've been out-fished by shads on a number of occasions. So I aim to use more this year and see where it gets me.

I've been particularly keen to try out some Duo Beachwalker Hauls, which only fairly recently were released by Duo. I loved the look of them so decided to stock some. They look like this initially, with double trebles. Massive overkill I feel, and on a lure this size would absolutely mutilate the fish. So I take off both and swap the end treble for a single hook.

Wood Bicycle part Hardwood Wood stain Metal

Anyway, got out with them this week and it was definitely worth doing. An hour blanking and then finally a bar of silver showed up. Not world-beating, but very welcome for January! Quick snap then back he went.

Organism Vertebrate Underwater Fish Adaptation

Nothing much doing from then on with the Shads, or with any other softies, so onto my favourite plug, the Zonk 120 Gataride. This single lure alone must've had me over 100 bass last year so if I'm not throwing rubber about chances are this will be on next. As usual, it didn't let me down.

Organism Vertebrate Fish Fish Marine biology

Got this punter before my shoulder- which i recently did in- started playing up a bit and forced me home. But I must say, winter so far hasn't been without its charms, haven't even broken out the thermals yet! :D

Body of water Nature Atmosphere Water resources Atmospheric phenomenon

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Top dangling! :cool:

Reactions: IhaveaBream

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Great fishing Joe and agree those shads look good.
Well done on the silver and glad your shoulder allowed you to get out even if only for a short one.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
great report, and photo's, good to see some silver still around, seems to be a lot of development going on in the SP's department

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Halayloyar
A catch report
Great fishing joe "
Weird greeny blue bass
Thought it was an extra fat gar lols

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers all. Has been nice to get out a bit after a long lay off.

I've had some reports of some early bream being taken over the last week. Well I say early, it may well be that they never left temperatures being what they are! Going to head out and target some on a night trip in the next few days I think. I managed a few bream to softies last year pretty much as a by-catch so really going to start targeting them specifically in 2016. I've always loved the scrap you get from bream and needless to say, on a light lure rod they really pull your string! Will update if anything notable to report.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Cheers all. Has been nice to get out a bit after a long lay off.

I've had some reports of some early bream being taken over the last week. Well I say early, it may well be that they never left temperatures being what they are! Going to head out and target some on a night trip in the next few days I think. I managed a few bream to softies last year pretty much as a by-catch so really going to start targeting them specifically in 2016. I've always loved the scrap you get from bream and needless to say, on a light lure rod they really pull your string! Will update if anything notable to report.
Joe,
Great read and pics..:)

Any tips on targeting bream with lures would be really appreciated.

Have promised myself for a year or so that I would pay more attention to the Giltheads in Portland harbour and the 'Blacks' outside in the bay... but the lure of the bass has always been too strong!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts