World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how should i attach my lugworm ,ragworm to my hooks its pretty easy on lugworm but i am well scared of ragworm
lol

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Jake,

Just thread it on so the hook goes all the way through, dont worry too much if the hook comes out of the side just carry on but try to get it all the way from head to tail in one go.

Or you could ask you tackle dealer to see if they sell baiting needles, which are much easier to use just be careful as they can be sharp.

Tight lines

Mike N

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I usually thread the lugworm on the hook first, and the push the whole worm up onto the hook snood. I then thread on the ragworm and pull the head section up over the hook eye and knot. This will stop the rag worm sliding down the hook during the cast. Pull the lugworm back down to the hook (where the rag can chew at it). Both worms should be put on head first.

Also, as the rag is put on last, there is less chance for it to chew your fingers. Also insert the hook through it's knippers which will help you keep your fingers out of the way.

Leave some rag tail free to wiggle about, but remember that this may fly off as soon as you cast anyway.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you dip the bait in salt water just before casting it will apparently stop the ragworm tail from flying off..

Never tried it though but a lot of people mention it.

tight lines

Mike

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
jakeb said:
how should i attach my lugworm ,ragworm to my hooks its pretty easy on lugworm but i am well scared of ragworm
lol
Jakeb

Dont be scared of the ragworm my 5 yr old daughter picks them up for me. Her in Doors dont that thou. On a serious note cut the ********* off bait up with the end cut off (the juices flow out apparently). Then addd the rest of your bait. Hope this this of help?

Woodster

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why don't you try only using deadbaits? I never use worms, and when I fish with someone using worms, I outfish them most times.
Try predator frozen bait from www.baitsdirect.co.uk
Terrific frozen mackerel, sandeels, squid, mussels, herring,launce, etc.
Most shore caught record fish are caught with a fish bait. I catch flatties on mackerel or long thin strips of squid. You get the bigger fish with a fish bait.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
If you've got rag big enough to worry you just be glad you've got 'em! The bite is not dangerous, just a little surprising! Baiting up is simple if you pick the worm up by its head between thumb and forefinger and thread onto the hook. The more you thread the further the nippers get from you!

I would not cut the worm before baiting as you want to keep as much 'juice' as possible so that it spreads out in the sea, not over your welly boots! Ok a huge King Rag is too much for one hooking so break the worm carefully once you have enough on. Good advice about using rag to hold on the lug - it is tougher. If you want to leave a wriggling tail, don't cast too vigourously. If you're slinging everything out use a little bait elastic, it is allowed!

If you've got a lot of Rag try freelining it with a light rod and reel, no weight, and look to see the line straighten as a bite indicator! You can fish the roughest shore with this method, all you stand to lose is a hook and you can cast the weight of a whole king rag a good 20-30 yds with a light spinning rod and small fixed spool. When the bass are in and feeding up with the tide this is far enough. Yes you do lose a lot of bait to crabs - its fun distinguishing the two bites - the gradual then speedy shooting out and straightening of the line when a good fish picks it up and swims off with it and the small movements caused by marauding and probably fighting crabs. One old bloke once told me when I was a lad (yawn, yawn!) that it did not matter if there were crabs there as Bass ate crabs! I've also freelined the same way with good big peelers and softys (the cannibal crabs attack them with even more vigour!)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
thanks for that swelly,,im gonna try that,

il try loading worm onto my hooks,,and just let it free line out in the current...let it go out about 300yrds,,then see what happens..

That will be a laff..

Cheers

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Do it when there's not many people about!

Seriously I was talking about shore fishing (rocky marks) and out of immediate currents (where live sandeel, under a float is better perhaps, retreived slowly) I tend to fish eddys in this way which contain deep water and where bait will reach bottom fairly easily. It's a great way to avoid the increasing (with the development of better and better rods and reels) over-casting I see (and am guilty of myself, occasionally!) You can use a float but free-lining is somehow so easy with just a hook to lose, and Bass to catch!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts