World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any of you can help. I'm fed up with cutting up bait on cardboard bait boxes or on the deck of the boat itself. Does anyone know where I can get a decent bait board from - even better one that fits into a rod holder !?

I've looked everywhere with no success apart from a company in the US who wants to charge about £100 with postage.

Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
can't help with one that fits into a rod holder, but what's wrong with a nylon / plastic type chopping board that you can buy in just about any supermarket?

Cost a couple of quid

·
Registered
584 Posts
I searched the local junk/charity shops and car boots a while back. Came up with half a dozen discarded kitchen chopping boards, all made from hard wood . . . teak??? Certainly a couple are teak, 50p a go, enough boards to see me out, lol Try an off cut of exterior quality or better still marine ply. Cut any of these to the size and shape you want.

ET's OPO

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My mate fitted one of those plant potting trays that look like a bait table on the stern of his boat cost £5.99 from B&Q and lined it with plywood.Works really well!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I made this one with a bit of ply, 2 bits of timber, 2 pipe clips & a couple of screws, you can make it as big as you like, unfortunately its not "Paid4proof" this is the second one!:whistling:
blueskip

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I made this one with a bit of ply, 2 bits of timber, 2 pipe clips & a couple of screws, you can make it as big as you like, unfortunately its not "Paid4proof" this is the second one!:whistling:
blueskip
HA! I have been playing arround in my mind about how to fix/make a bait board for my new Merry Fisher. Because the boat all bright and shiny I have been labouring under the illusion that the bait board needed to be all bright and stainless steel with knobs on..........:uhuh:

Having seen yours, it just goes to show how easily one can drift off the point of what one really needs.
Brilliantly simple :notworthy And perfect for me:clap3:

I will copy it immediatly and claim it was all my own idea!!!:yeah:

Afishionado

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Mike and Blueskip,

Can I suggest you add a small raised lip around the edges on three sides.

This stops the bait sliding off into the water unless you wat to add ground bait!

Include a few holes to allow drainage of excess water and a slot to put the bait knife into as this will get lost overboard on the first big wave.

This is my bait board - see picture

Regards

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I got a cheapie white pvc chopping board from wilkinsons for a couple quid.its about 16 inch by 12 inch and fits perfectly in the back of a beta box .:)

all the best
SD

G

·
If you are making one then let me know what material you need and I will cut the sizes for you and send for postage cost only.

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Mike and Blueskip,

Can I suggest you add a small raised lip around the edges on three sides.

This stops the bait sliding off into the water unless you wat to add ground bait!

Include a few holes to allow drainage of excess water and a slot to put the bait knife into as this will get lost overboard on the first big wave.

This is my bait board - see picture

Regards

Dave
Dave that is obviously the "concors d'elegance" in homemade baitboards, the quadrant, drain holes, knife socket, are all on the drawing board, we must be careful though, we could end up over the 50p budget!:yeah:
blueskip

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
My Trophy came with two hatches in the top of the narrow stern deck, that cover drop-in boxes that I use to hold ropes etc. These hatches were made of the same material as those white plastic chopping boards. Built-in bait boards - nothing extra to get in the way!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
quote=fishy Finger;399667]Hi Pout Man,
Get 2 nylon chopping boards, (got mine from Bookers) cut 1 into 3inch strips. Drill pilot holes and countersink holes from underside. stand strips on sides and trim to length, for 3 sides. line up with pilot holes, clamp and drill pilots into the underside of strips. Fix with stainless screws.
Drill a couple of holes near to the outer edges for knife, pliers, ect. Mine is fitted to the side rails using brass pipe clamps and stainless countersunk screws. Cost £16. The ones in the mags from USA -£79

Hi, What did you use to cut the poly' boards. I can use either a band saw, a table saw, or a jig saw, but I am worried about cutting blade speed/friction causing the plastic board to melt.
Any advice would be welcome.

Afishionado

1 - 20 of 30 Posts