World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just popped out for an hour with my son collecting some baits for tomorrow or Friday evening. Target species was tailor ( bluefish ) which unfortunately couldn't be found but no end of Aus salmon were literally schooled up at the first beach gutter we cast into. We really just wanted two fish but decided to keep a couple for dinner and give some to one of the elderly neighbours to cook in his smoker.

All up we kept eight and released around thirty. Three have been scaled and cut ready into bait sized pieces, which saves messing around after dark cutting baits.

View attachment 1278237
_JDP2823.jpg
_JDP2818 2.jpg
_JDP2824.jpg
_JDP2825.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
nice going Jon. having some terrible weather this side and not much action.

by the looks of them, those are the same as the NZ Kahawai - great fish on the fly too.

good luck with the planned session.

I'm curious to know, do you freeze them once you've prepped them or just keep them fresh till the session??

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice going Jon. having some terrible weather this side and not much action.

by the looks of them, those are the same as the NZ Kahawai - great fish on the fly too.

good luck with the planned session.

I'm curious to know, do you freeze them once you've prepped them or just keep them fresh till the session??

Cheers
Dave
Yes Dave I freeze them and they are the same as your Kahawai. I scale and cut them into baits sized pieces to save doing it on the beach in the middle of a hot bite, which tends to of been the case just lately. I also vacuum pack them which keeps the flesh almost like fresh fillets even after freezing. Tailor are better baits but these are still pretty good, like you know yourself the meat is so firm you only need to put the hook through it once most of the time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
thanks for sharing that Jon, always good to know how others work.
Must give that a go, as you say it beats loosing time during the bite.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for sharing that Jon, always good to know how others work.
Must give that a go, as you say it beats loosing time during the bite.

Cheers
By the way that's one hell of a king in your bio. Do you just rod and line fish or spear at all over there ? My daughter has quite a few spearfishing buddies from NZ.

·
Registered
303 Posts
thanks bud, if i remember right it was in the low to mid 20kg mark.
just rod and line i'm afraid, haven't found the time to get into any of the diving/spearo side of things as of yet. I'm either with the off road club or surf casting.
do you get any underwater stuff done yourself?

cheers

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks bud, if i remember right it was in the low to mid 20kg mark.
just rod and line i'm afraid, haven't found the time to get into any of the diving/spearo side of things as of yet. I'm either with the off road club or surf casting.
do you get any underwater stuff done yourself?

cheers
I use to but the time came when my daughter was to fast for me to keep up with in the water so I'm mainly the boat driver now who hops in the shallow 8-12m spots for a few lobsters. My daughter dives bellow 20m and her best friend from NZ dives 30-40m depths, she was diving those depths at just 16 years old. My daughter recently lost a very big king here which pulled from the spearshaft, she was devastated. She had shot a bluefin then lent her gun to someone else who shot a bluefin which had slightly bent her spear shaft with realising. The bent shaft meant her big kingfish shot was a couple of cm to low.

This is my daughters buddy and also a pic of my daughter with a smaller king than the one she lost, big kings are pretty rare here.

IMG_3278.PNG

IMG_0521.JPG

·
Registered
303 Posts
Those are epic fish dude, Just goes to show what can be done when you put your mind to it.
Real shame about the daughter loosing the king, especially in those circumstances.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts