World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious about peoples preference in bait collection, I collected bait when I was very young, now that I have started fishing again I thought I'd start digging again, however I have seen people using bait pumps.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, also are there any regulations regarding to digging?

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

·
Registered
690 Posts
never used a baitpump so can't comment on them,but i think it takes a bit of practice useing one.i prefer to dig for lug as you can very often dig up several at a time.The only unwriten law i know of is to backfill your holes as you go and let the tide do the rest.

·
Registered
282 Posts
always dig mine north kent coast,tried a bait pump but because of the gravel /shale like sand they live in didnt work.

unless someone knows differant?

·
Registered
926 Posts
it depends on the where you are going to collect your bait, i use a pump and a fork

·
Registered
122 Posts
pumping, its no contest,
some people have trouble using baitpumps but i find i get a worm roughly every 2 goes, i was told and never read this anywhere that you angle the pump over the hole and towards the cast and it worked for me from my 2nd attempt in north wales on sandy beaches, also use washing up liquid in the hole to lubricate it, take some with you..
its quite strenuous an ive got a heart problem but you have to give it a fairly hard pull then push, if you do it too crazy hard you will see damage to the worm.
i had no idea these worms can get so big i swear one actually got off the hook and tried to escape and was easily as fat as a hosepipe, as fat as what 10 frozen lug together would be.
i have no idea what kind they are except they are so big i dont like messing with them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Pumping is good for black lug and yellowtails. Live yellows can be kept if pumped correctly but they take a lot of care.

Only use washing up liquid for lubrication but please use Ecover. I know it costs a lot more but you only need a small amount now and again and the cost offset against the amount of free bait your're are collecting is no contest. Please don't pollute the beach with any other form of lubrication.

It takes a lot of practice and everyone has a different method of pumping. Don't expect to get many to start with, but when it clicks you should be able to get what you need in a tide.

As a commercial digger please respect the areas in which me and others are working. Just remember that you are getting a few for fishing while professional diggers are feeding their families.

Good luck with it - if you are on the beach i am working and ask for advice i will give it to you but many wont so don't hassle a pro digger who has his head down working.

cheers

Tim

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hi tim sorry i missed you're call the other day i had my head down pumping for all i was worth (which wasn't much) still looking for guidance from the master so if you get time just give me a txt or bell an hr or so before you go & i'll come & meet up with ya. Thanks for the sound advice by the way I use veggi oil to lube the pump is this not good?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi tim sorry i missed you're call the other day i had my head down pumping for all i was worth (which wasn't much) still looking for guidance from the master so if you get time just give me a txt or bell an hr or so before you go & i'll come & meet up with ya. Thanks for the sound advice by the way I use veggi oil to lube the pump is this not good?
no probs melv, your welcome next week on the big tides next week - wont have alot of spare time this week on these small tides. ill give you a ring. re lube i think liquid is the best lubricant - the reason i say Ecover is because its designed to be better on the environment in terms of sewage discharge so guessing its ok if a bit gets into the sand - i think is just biodegradeable .

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Mate,

Pump or fork ??.......Horses for courses I`d say.
Blowlug such as those found at Seasalter for example live in " u " SHAPED BURROWS so a fork is required, I doubt you`ll get them with a pump.
Black lug such as those found at Dungie on the other hand live in near vertical burrows and the use of a pump make them easy to collect.
My first pump was an Aveley, about 50mm dia. It worked well but was hard work.
The pump I use now is a 22mm dia one which is soooooooo easy to use and far less stenuous.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chaps,

Thankyou for all the very helpful info re bait collection, I am goinf to try for some lug using a fork and in time I might borrow a pump and give that a go.

To the chaps that posted who are commercial diggers, rest assured, I will endeavour not to get in your way, not knowing where you dig, I might by accident go on your beach, if this is the case, just let me know.

I am only after a few score to go fishing, I do not intend plowing the beach up.

Thanks again, once again the forum comes up trumps with helpful people :thumbs:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I was informed donkeys ago by a local fisherman to try fishing Sandwich Bay with lug dug from the same bay. Has anybody on here heard of this or ever tried it, or is this idea a load of old beach trash.

Personally, I have never dug a worm in my life but may be persuaded if this myth were true and upped my chances of a good result.:boxing:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can officially say that using a fork to dig through muddy sand is a defo NO! :doh:

Instead I left the beach with fork and bucket, drove to the nearest tackle shop and purchased a bait pump.

Second visit to the beach saw me rack up 3 score of lug :yeah:, lets hope my hard work earns a reward on Friday night.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I have been pumping for a bit now, have really good success on some days and do poor on others (this is black lug). On another Beach which has black and yellows it can be very difficult.
My mate is unbelievable, he will double my efforts, been doing it alot longer so I am keeping at it.
One extremely useful tip I have tryed with my widest bore pump and eradicates the use of lubricant is change the original washers for homemade silicon washers, google it and you will find out how to do this as there are variants.
It makes life alot easier, easier on the old elbow joints thats for sure.

Digging blow ? fork every time.

I have found also that the smaller diameter pumps works much better on wetter, muddier surfaces for black lug, which also gives you the option of going in as described earlier in the thread, angling the pump, by going in at different angles you can gauge exactly where the worms are laying, depth wise.
Good place to get ideas of this is utube, type bait pumping in their search engine.
Tight Lines my old Fruit!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Chaps,

To the chaps that posted who are commercial diggers, rest assured, I will endeavour not to get in your way, not knowing where you dig, I might by accident go on your beach, if this is the case, just let me know.
:thumbs:
mate its not their beach you have every right to be there as much as they do and treating them with such deference is only going to make them feel even more superior.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts