World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I know bait digging areas are normally guarded secrets, but can't anyone give me any places where I can dig bait ragworm or lugworm near hayling or Portsmouth, it will be just for my use If you want to private message me thats great I will not pass on any locations, just need some places to try out to get bait for myself to fish as I have lost my job but still want to continue my new hobby so if I have to dig worms then that what I will do, thanks

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
after you cross the bridge onto Hayling there is a petrol station on the right about 1/2 mile down. go down the road (victoris road?) at the side and park up at the end. all along there can be good for Lug

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Buds farm in Havant.
Drive down the road ( industrial estate ) drive under the lo gate, park by the wall then walk onto the mud. Look for firm mud and start digging. That's for rag worm

Lugworm park on the pub car park before u reach hayling bridge then cross the road through the cycle path onto the beach ( sand ) dig here loads of lug but only small tho.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Its the Mountbatten centre Lee, but he's right, good spot to dig, but chest waders are a must down there as the mud is VERY deep in places (I've been down over my hips before!)

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
It is a good place to dig just be aware that the mud is deep in places, best place I can think of for lug ( as Lee said Budd's Farm has lug but they tend not to be that big)

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
So best not go there for first time digging then lol, it's lugworm I am after as never used it before
If you have never dug before [and I am not trying to be clever] the lugworm give away their location by leaving a sand cast on the surface. Ragworm digging is more random. You will also need to walk down near the low water mark to find them generally. Have a look on U Tube etc as pictures are often better than words. Cheers

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Buds farm in Havant.
Drive down the road ( industrial estate ) drive under the lo gate, park by the wall then walk onto the mud. Look for firm mud and start digging. That's for rag worm

Lugworm park on the pub car park before u reach hayling bridge then cross the road through the cycle path onto the beach ( sand ) dig here loads of lug but only small tho.

as above

budds farm is a shadow of its former self though, even though you will get enough for what you need
used to get 20lb+per tide down there when the going was good.( easy digging )
also, used to be very good crossing hayling bridge, park up on hayling side and walk up the channel ( very soft in places ), was even better than down t farm.

also plenty of lug down by the ferry, on the approach rd nr the harbourmasters not very big but abundant

kris

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
"Quote" budds farm is a shadow of its former self though, even though you will get enough for what you need
used to get 20lb+per tide down there when the going was good.

And i wonder why its not great now.:dry:

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
"Quote" budds farm is a shadow of its former self though, even though you will get enough for what you need

in the good ole days before farmed crap mate, some one had to supply the tackle shops with good quality fresh local worm.
not all anglers can be bothered to go n get their own bait.

probably the same up your way fella, tackle shops always need bait, imported dutch blacks wasnt about in them days on the n/e coast, so assumed the local beds got hammered, so the diggers n pumpers moved further north?? ( n south )!!:whistling:whistling

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

The reason Budds Farm used to be so good that it was next to the sewage works outfall. As soon as the tide turned to ebb, the sluice would be opened and thousands of gallons of treated sewage was pumped out. The nutrients settled on Budds Farm and the ragworm grew fast and were abundant. As soon as they stopped pumping out onto this area the digging declined. The fishing over this area was also spectacular, I recall catching 20/30 flounders on a single tide. Nowadays you could fish there all week and be lucky to get one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.