World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now a lot gets said about bait does nothing , hangs in tide and drifts about ...
Fair enough , im sure it does ...

But what does this bait do with a bass up it jacksy .................:huh::cc_surren

Im pretty sure it motors , in fact lets not mess about , IT RUNS FOR ITS LIFE ...

Bass are ambushers , and herders ,,, im sure an ambushing bass , can hit a drifting bait before it knows whats happing ...

I fish a fair few areas with no cover what so ever ,, and seen mac herded to the top , in bait balls , being hammered from beneath ,

So dont worry if you think your vibrating lure are redundant ,,,,,, there not ....A zonk to me is a GREAT lure , will go down as a classic in years to come ,

it does tons more than a stick bait , and catches Lots of bass , at night to ...

Pollock hang down in the water , but again when bertie bass is after it iet it dont ...

bait fish are not as stupid as we think , any thing that need to fight for its life ...Will ,,, day or night ......:wiggle:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I fish a fair few areas with no cover what so ever ,, and seen mac herded to the top , in bait balls , being hammered from beneath ,

So dont worry if you think your vibrating lure are redundant ,,,,,, there not ....A zonk to me is a GREAT lure , will go down as a classic in years to come ,
I think they pretty much have to herd mackerel in open water or wait till they are preoccupied eating baitfish, if I was going to put my money on a race between a mackerel and a bass I know who I'd put my money on :secret: It's not the bass.
See you mentioned the zonk mark just seen today there is a new mackerel colour comming out for the uk market.
http://media.tumblr.com/d2afa811bf045d6d835921e809e043c9/tumblr_inline_mwvsoeBel41r3idft.jpg

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they pretty much have to herd mackerel in open water or wait till they are preoccupied eating baitfish, if I was going to put my money on a race between a mackerel and a bass I know who I'd put my money on :secret: It's not the bass.
See you mentioned the zonk mark just seen today there is a new mackerel colour comming out for the uk market.
http://media.tumblr.com/d2afa811bf045d6d835921e809e043c9/tumblr_inline_mwvsoeBel41r3idft.jpg
Cheers for that , it looks nice for sure , not a lover of blues or greens on lures tbh , but green better than blue ..

Agree with you on the mac v bass race , mac every time , but what about a tiny joey mac , any where from 4 to 7 or 8 inch long ,

A 2half to 5 pound bass , i think my money would be on the bass over a baby mac ,,,, dont think the staying power would be there on a smaller mac ... only an opinion

mind ...

People say .,,, O you never see bait , popping over the surface, or walking the dog ..........

Really , i have lost count of the amount of times i have been fishing away , and seen bait fish scatter across the surface out of no where ,

Yes it may only be a few skips here and there and not a full out skip back for ages .........

but does that matter ,,, bass have seen this quick scatter enough times in its life to know bait is do able up top ...

Bait may not act like we make are lures act ,,, but we dont see what goes on under water , the weak , the wounded , the deformed , bass will find the weaknesses

and make the most of them , picking the stragglers from a shoal of bait , ramming bait balls and maiming bait ,

That why sometimes the weirdest things you do with your lures work ......BASS HAVE SEEN IT ALL ...

I have seen more than once , people spanking there surface lure back REALLY fast for another cast , from the last 15 / 30 ft , and bass leap out and hook up , rod hooped over , and the look on the persons face , thinking HOW lol ....love it :wub:

( apparently they suck in a huge popper being spanked back at light speed , weighing a couple onces :cc_surren, i KNOW they dont )

Little slow smallish lures for sure get sucked in , but some of the attacks are just savage , from bass SMALLER THAN THAN LURES :fish:

BASS fighting over same surface lures lots at a time , all sucking from different directions , lmfao , i think not ,

Or bass hooked on the out side of here heads where they have slashed at or tried to injure the bait , no sucking there , hey ho , no one has all the answers , thats why

i love fishing for bass , its a learning game that WILL never end ...

Still waiting for my answer , on how a half pound bass sucks in a salitiga popper , (huge and heavy ) at top speed , or a cotton cordel same thing ......

So really , SOME bass dont bite , they suck , might be more apropriate , than being told they dont ...

they sure as hell attack at full speed and leap at the water time and time again behind a lure here to hit it 100 per cent no sucking for sure ..

As they have plates not teeth , bite my be wrong word to use , but clamp down they do on my lures ....

So how YOU work your lure , could never be wrong ,. because some bass somewhere has seen the action on a real bait your doing ...

fast , slow , pause , pop , sink , drag , drift , lightning fast ,dead slow ,slow sinlk , fast sink , noisey lures , silent ....

It ALL works , and dont let anyone tell you other wise .......:wiggle:

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i must admit mark thats one of the things i love about bass fishing is the visual side of things .
ive whatched bass ambush lures and its makes it so much better to
see whats happening rather than chucking a bait out and waiting .

like you say about lures most dont swim like a real fish ,but that dosent stop
them getting eaten .
i have some megabass lates and they realy do wobble .havent caught on them mind ,ones a suspender to .
and wouldnt go any were without a zonk

·
Registered
760 Posts
Mark, would still put my money on the mackerel no matter the size, if it sees that bass it's a goner.
As for baitfish on the surface, if I see a shoal of mackerel chasing baitfish off the beach I'm jumping for joy because I know more often than not what's under or behind it, out comes the noisiest surface lure I've got cast just outside the shoal and bang fish on.
We had a few days down on a local shingle beach where little sprats where absolutely everywhere hundreds being washed up in the waves and scattering all over the place, one of these lipless minnows cast as far as possible did the trick with the bass nailing it as soon as it got to depth.
http://www.powerboats.lv/images/products/duel-hardcore-lipless-minnow-smks-13281135670.jpg

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Mark, would still put my money on the mackerel no matter the size, if it sees that bass it's a goner.
As for baitfish on the surface, if I see a shoal of mackerel chasing baitfish off the beach I'm jumping for joy because I know more often than not what's under or behind it, out comes the noisiest surface lure I've got cast just outside the shoal and bang fish on.
We had a few days down on a local shingle beach where little sprats where absolutely everywhere hundreds being washed up in the waves and scattering all over the place, one of these lipless minnows cast as far as possible did the trick with the bass nailing it as soon as it got to depth.
http://www.powerboats.lv/images/products/duel-hardcore-lipless-minnow-smks-13281135670.jpg
My God, now that is a beautiful lure!!
Can I ask where you found them?
You would just put money on that catching.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My God, now that is a beautiful lure!!
Can I ask where you found them?
You would just put money on that catching.
Think I got it from wave inn, was a good year ago though. I'm pretty sure Ben deals with duel at aof though so might be worth giving him a ring. Brought it to use on the boat but it seems to be doing better off the shore tbh good for the start and ends of the season when mackies are thiner on the ground.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Complete noob but have witnessed a pair of 3lbers on same lure and a 5.8lb that smashed the lure very visibly.
I reckon a fast lure with action will attract attack, If that very lure appears to be 'escaping'..and a dead stick could get approached and sucked in if it appears 'doomed' ........does that make sense? Did to me.
But that doesn't explain why they sometimes smash a static crab or worm bait ????
Indeed addictive and a learning curve.

·
Registered
80 Posts
watch a dying fish in a fish tank (or watch undersized whiting after a measure match ) especially ones with a swim bladder illness and their rolling ,twitching, topping then diving movements can very easily be replicated with a decent floating diver .
I was always in the thought I want my lure to be near or among bait fish but dont want it to act the same as them and ideally would like to make it stand out to the bass as the weak damaged or easier to catch rather than appering too similar and just blending into the safety of a shoal .I maybe wrong but hay ho my idea an im sticking with it.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
watch a dying fish in a fish tank (or watch undersized whiting after a measure match ) especially ones with a swim bladder illness and their rolling ,twitching, topping then diving movements can very easily be replicated with a decent floating diver .
I was always in the thought I want my lure to be near or among bait fish but dont want it to act the same as them and ideally would like to make it stand out to the bass as the weak damaged or easier to catch rather than appering too similar and just blending into the safety of a shoal .I maybe wrong but hay ho my idea an im sticking with it.
Great post , cod god , make your lure stand out from the crowd for sure ...

I think a lot of people post what they do at night , forgetting that 90 percent on here fish in the day or light time ..

Bass at night will hit any thing making even the slightest disturbance to the water , there lateral line will pick up the movements now matter how small ...

So calm night can be great , when a calm day is poor ...

The difference between the way i fish , night and day is huge , from speed , to lure choice , to lure colour , to lure size .....

I would think bass look at bait drifting , doing nothing in the day , and unless they got cover leave well alone ...

Chased bait , is a bit different in action to static bait imho ...........not much bait is just going to sit , hang there with a sign round its neck , and flashing neon lights saying eat me , i just sit here lmfao .....

Hear things like , you never see bait runing around all over the place , so why do why thrash are lures all over the place .............:huh:

Ughhhhhhh , why , cause it works ,,,,, zonks catch tons of fish in the day being spanked around all fast and darty,

so maybe peole under water seeig bait , are not seeing it with with a shoal of bass chaing it , hunting it down , im sure the little pollock is FAR more like a zonk then ..

I name zonk , but thousands lures do same thing,dart about , vibes , ect ..

as always . NO RIGHT OR WRONG just differences , different ways , all should be embraced , not dismissed ......

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Another great thread Mark. Just wish I had the time to get out.
, O you never see bait , popping over the surface, or walking the dog ..........

, :lmao:
I have this vision of a huge Mackerel towing a tiny Chiwawa (Spelling) on a lead behind it!:wiggle:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Great post , cod god , make your lure stand out from the crowd for sure ...

I think a lot of people post what they do at night , forgetting that 90 percent on here fish in the day or light time ..

Bass at night will hit any thing making even the slightest disturbance to the water , there lateral line will pick up the movements now matter how small ...

So calm night can be great , when a calm day is poor ...

The difference between the way i fish , night and day is huge , from speed , to lure choice , to lure colour , to lure size .....

I would think bass look at bait drifting , doing nothing in the day , and unless they got cover leave well alone ...

Chased bait , is a bit different in action to static bait imho ...........not much bait is just going to sit , hang there with a sign round its neck , and flashing neon lights saying eat me , i just sit here lmfao .....

Hear things like , you never see bait runing around all over the place , so why do why thrash are lures all over the place .............:huh:

Ughhhhhhh , why , cause it works ,,,,, zonks catch tons of fish in the day being spanked around all fast and darty,

so maybe peole under water seeig bait , are not seeing it with with a shoal of bass chaing it , hunting it down , im sure the little pollock is FAR more like a zonk then ..

I name zonk , but thousands lures do same thing,dart about , vibes , ect ..

as always . NO RIGHT OR WRONG just differences , different ways , all should be embraced , not dismissed ......

Got to say its very refreshing to hear that , no right or wrong .......i have certainely found that bass can be caught on the same lure worked in a variety of different ways on the same day in the same spot . Definitely no right or wrong , just play around and do your own thing , if youve put yourself in a place where theres hungry bass then catches will follow .......

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Darwin says, the predator is programmed to pick off the weak sickly odd one out, and that drives evolution, so like a few people said assuming that it's not blasphemy, a lure has to stand out, no way in a million years a lure could look identicule to bait just suggest it as the target . Enjoying these threads at the moment

·
Registered
903 Posts
Do you think lures which have some hook rash or bit of a battered appearance could look more appealing given it could look like an injured fish, scales missing etc

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,507 Posts
Do you think lures which have some hook rash or bit of a battered appearance could look more appealing given it could look like an injured fish, scales missing etc
I have always thought this especially with that final split second before the *chomp*
A pristine lure is one that has never seen any action.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have always thought this especially with that final split second before the *chomp*
A pristine lure is one that has never seen any action.
Got to agree with this my best catcher is one of those tide minnows that looks like freddy krugers had his way with it, I usually put a few spots of red near the hooks with a permanent marker too as a bit of a bite target, I'm not too impressed with the new one doesn't get nearly so many bites.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not so sure , when mine get to battered , colour nearly all gone ,
There not to good , I clip on a new one and they catch well ,
Sand borer Susuke is good example , very poor when battered ....

But to be honest my best lures are bullet proof , surface gun fish es
Sammy s , ghost colours and the best out there xrap a y u ,
So colours on these stay on ages , tide minnows are not to bad battered up ,
But if I'm honest I'm not a lover of using battered lures

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
And I'll be saying that if you are confident using a lure you will concentrate more and fish it better. So if M333 is confident on his shiny lure, it will do better, but if someone else is confident on their battered old one, they;ll fish it better than a shiny lure they are not confident on.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And I'll be saying that if you are confident using a lure you will concentrate more and fish it better. So if M333 is confident on his shiny lure, it will do better, but if someone else is confident on their battered old one, they;ll fish it better than a shiny lure they are not confident on.
Confidence is a Huge thing when bass fishing ...
I'm very poor and tight as a badgers behind .."
I will use my lures the same way in the same areas till they catch no more
Normally find that every 70 fish on average a lure is to battered for me and catches it'd drop away big time , I clip on a new one and the catch rate is right back just as it should be ...
Could be a confidence thing but after 15 years thrashing the same areas hard
It's more of a findings thing for me
A lot depends on people expectations , , ,
If you go out for 3 to 5 hrs and only expect a bass or two , leave a battered one on ,
I expect and want a whole lot more than that , so new ones all the way ...
Also there are huge varies of battered lol
What's battered to some is perfectly fine to others .
My battered would be 70 to 80 percent no colour , useless to me then ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts