World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've spied out a place where some reasonable sized Bass come cruising close to shore (nearly under your feet, in fact!) at high.

I tried a head hooked Rag on a bubble float but can't keep the Pollock off - great if ya like Pollock :O

Whats a good bait this time of year for Bass near the surface, whilst keeping the other stuff away... (varying between 3 ft to 12ft)

Ps Getting hold of Peelers seems impossible nowadays near my location..

Thanks

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've spied out a place where some reasonable sized Bass come cruising close to shore (nearly under your feet, in fact!) at high.

I tried a head hooked Rag on a bubble float but can't keep the Pollock off - great if ya like Pollock :O

Whats a good bait this time of year for Bass near the surface, whilst keeping the other stuff away... (varying between 3 ft to 12ft)

Ps Getting hold of Peelers seems impossible nowadays near my location..

Thanks
fly rods out there,if they dont touch them flies then they aint feeding that close in

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
try a baby pollock live on a size 2/0 treble free lined on one rod and then chuck a plug about with another

im sure the plugging guys will help here i cant catch much on plugs so i dont try to often lol but a live bait should do the trick imo

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
BASS EAT ANYTHING!!
Basically if you are small enough, got gills, got a tail, and swim the sea your are prey...
Anyworms, of fish baits, and crustions should work for bass, depends on what there usual prey are in - and around the area you intend to fish for them.......

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I would livebait if feasible. I wouldnt go with live eel though as Pollack will nail these all day long, and normally end up deep hooked unless using a circle or semi circle hook. I have never had Pollack bother with live Pout, Wrasse, Pollack or Sand Smelt though, so maybe worth a go.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a related question:

I usually fish my livebaits (small pollock, wrasse, blennys) on a bubble float, cast out main line with only a gripper attached and then slide down a bubble float on an American snap swivel with the livebait attached to the bubble float by 5' of line and a circle hook.

However I noticed that the livebait would often swim around and twist the hooklength around the mainline.

So I have recently dispensed with the bubble float all together and just slide the live bait down the mainline on its hooklength attached with an american snap swivel.

This means that the livebait can swim to any depth.

I was wondering if people have noticed any differences in catch rate, between using a float with livebait or without a float??

Me, I haven't noticed any difference yet, as I haven't had a bass with either method (which I mostly put down to only trying during daylight), but I live in hope.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I would start by looking at where you are fishing and deciding which prey Bass would be most likely to come across. If you are fishing rough ground, there are likely to be a few Wrasse about, which generally stick to the bottom, so I would start there. Sand Smelt on the other hand are often right up in the water, so I would fish them under a float near the surface. I have personally had quite a few times where the opposite of this has happened though, I have taken quite a few fish floatfishing a Pout at 6ft deep in 30ft of water, in the day time! You'll find a combination that'll work, Bass are opportunists and will not often pass up a well presented livebait, no matter what the species. The hardest part is finding the Bass in the first place...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.