World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume most of you have seen the threads posted on the south east forum about the amount of bait being washed up. I am talking about good quality lug (blacks & yellow tails) Razors by the ton and queens. Given this influx of free bait realistically if stored correctly how long will this keep and still be viable?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive collected lots of free offerings of clams, razors and queen cckles and have filled my freezer with them. Ive been doing that for a few years now and I find they last a year or more and can be refrozen if not all used on a session. Catch plenty of bass on this free bait mainly on beaches.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The key to keeping bait is the prep work.

For example, i have purchased black lug wrapped in paper with the ends showing, which makes part of the worm useless..
Tips

wrap in magazine paper to stop the juices soaking into paper, then place in freezer bag and cover with newspaper. A bit of work but it works!!
Baits will last.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
i wrap mine in paper and then cling film stops them drying out , get down the beach and get stocked up mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is certainly a lot about currently although an interesting point has been what will be the long term affect on certainly the lug worm locally. How long are they likely to take to recover?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
shellfish will last for ever as long as you don't let it dry out. put in sealable sandwich bags and don't let the juices drain out.

you can re freeze as many times as you like. the more the better if you ask me. the fish are looking for rotting shell fish that has been buried then scurfed out by a big see so will be natural for them, and have a stronger scent trail.

for blacks i just use damp newspaper to roll them in, if they're too big to go in a sheet of newspaper folded in half then use cling film (just makes more of a manageable size for the freezer and bucket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before my shell fish went in the freezer I let them sit for a week or so that way they start to really stink and there's plenty of juices

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any chance there is likely to be any left after the next blow. Dungy a bit of a drag from home but for all that free bait I would crawl across broken glass lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
mate a couple of weeks ago i was pulling out handfulls of razor fish from my leader knot, that stuff kept building up on my line and dragging the lead out. even found a sea mouse washed up.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Clams I freeze after pulling the condom off;razorfish I salt so they shrink down by about a quarter - this concentrates the natural antifreeze, and stops the cell walls rupturing. If you don't do this, the razors turn into fish-flavour custard when defrosted. The late Harry Parham, the first BASS secretary, said the clams are the best, and get better if stored in the freezer for 2-3 years. I saw the content of his freezer, all date-marked. He used to float-fish a whole clam from the rocks at 3 beaches, Torbay.

PTR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts