World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing on wednesday and no matter how i hooked my bait(frozen sandeels and lug),I couldnt stop it sliding down over the hookpoint. I used elastic cotton but that only made it difficult to remove old baits..could someone please give me some advice?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
i,m afraid that elastic is something you just have to put up with.

wrap the eel tight to the hook and line getting some very tight where the hook eye is. this should hold it a little longer.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
What hooks are you using? - usually you should have no problem with aberdeens

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Try wrapping some bell wire around the shank of the hook, put a section of it through the eye of the hook and then wrap it spiralwise down the shank. It's a tip I picked up on here, it gives some extra purchase on the bait and gives the bait elastic some purchase too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lads, that bellwire trick sounds like it should work, I was using 1/0 aberdeens i think (made the rig a long time ago).Cheers:clap2:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
even if the eel slides towards the point it shouldn't mask the point. lacy the eel on and it should only slip down to the bend.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You could try putting a small section of an elastic band over the hook point to try and keep the bait from sliding down. I have done this when using live macky on the boat to stop them turining over the hook point. Now i use semi circle hooks though and dont need to do this as they are superior to traditional j-hooks.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
You could try putting a small section of an elastic band over the hook point to try and keep the bait from sliding down.
This is what I would recommend, I do this quite a lot for softer baits like lug and mussel. I just cut a tiny square of the band and it should help keep the bait from slipping. You could also try tipping with tough baits like squid :fish:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This is what I would recommend, I do this quite a lot for softer baits like lug and mussel. I just cut a tiny square of the band and it should help keep the bait from slipping. You could also try tipping with tough baits like squid :fish:
i second that m8t band over hook point, does the job:)

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Went fishing on wednesday and no matter how i hooked my bait(frozen sandeels and lug),I couldnt stop it sliding down over the hookpoint. I used elastic cotton but that only made it difficult to remove old baits..could someone please give me some advice?
Hate blowing my own trumpet, but you bait was probably dragging down the hook because of the forces of both the cast and the impact of hitting the water. This is what the DVice is for. You can find out more if you look at my Diary/Blog site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts