World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I always struggle with my bait presentation when using apennel rig because I often use mackerel fillet and a whole small squid cocktail, so I thread the mackerel fillet onto the top hook and the top of the squid, but I end up jsu randomly hookin the second hook at it becomes more of a large ball??? Ive seen on the box (henry) do soemthing different any1 help with this?? chers

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip and shore m8 thnx

78 Posts
what does the elastic do? I used some for the first time today and it didnt really do anything.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i would open the squid up, then lay the squid on the flesh side of the macky. thread the macky/ squid up the snood as if it were one (as they're layed out). you can put the head of the squid on as a tip if you wanted to. then wrap with elastic, don't bother if you're only lobbing it 20- 30 yrds. then hook the top hook through the top of the bait, i prefer to put it the hook the opposite way to the bottom hook.

what type of elastic are you using? you need the modern thin stuff, the easier it breaks the better. you need to pull it tight when wrapping a bait, work your way up and back down so the bait is secure. then pull tight, the elastic should snap at this point. as the elastic snaps it burries it's self in the bait, no need for tying or anything.

i elastic anything that has half a chance of coming off, it's so handy.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
i would open the squid up, then lay the squid on the flesh side of the macky. thread the macky/ squid up the snood as if it were one (as they're layed out). you can put the head of the squid on as a tip if you wanted to. then wrap with elastic, don't bother if you're only lobbing it 20- 30 yrds. then hook the top hook through the top of the bait, i prefer to put it the hook the opposite way to the bottom hook.

what type of elastic are you using? you need the modern thin stuff, the easier it breaks the better. you need to pull it tight when wrapping a bait, work your way up and back down so the bait is secure. then pull tight, the elastic should snap at this point. as the elastic snaps it burries it's self in the bait, no need for tying or anything.

i elastic anything that has half a chance of coming off, it's so handy.
I agree with big guy. Bait elastic to me is a must have in every anglers tackle box. Getting bait presentation right can be a fiddly business especially if you have a hand like a bunch of bananas (like me :) I would say thread the mackey fillet or bait up the bottom hook first as big guy said then hook the bait with the top hook. Use as much elastic as you like . One thing to keep handy in your pockett or bait tray though is a small pair of scissors to snip the left over bait and elastic which is held to the hook when you have reeled in. It's alot easier than pulling it off especially on a cold night.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts