World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Dont Know About Anyone Else But I Suspect That There Is A Certian Amount Of Price Fixing Going On Especialy Around Weston And Surrounding Area I Am Lucky I Can Get My Own If Need Be But Occassionaly Due To Weather Times Or Work I Have To Resort To Buying Bait And The Diference In Prices In Other Areas Lends Me To Thinking That There Is I Suspect Alot Of Fixing Going On??
To Summerize I Am In The Trade Be It Wholesale And Mailorder Now But I Have Customers That Have Shops Up And Down The Country?
And Over The Past 10 Years Cost Prices On Bait I.e Worm Baits Have Been Stable Since The Farmed Worm Was Introduced?
The Cost Trade Wise Is £7.00 To £8.00 Per Lb And I Still Cannot Get My Head Round This As A Retailer You Can Only Sell In Grams And Kilos Yet This Little Backwater Seems Stuck With Lbs Which Is Now A Days Illegal To Sell By??
So The Question Is If Costs Have Remained The Same Why Is Everyone Trying To Sell At £14.00 + Per Lb And How Come Everone Is The Same In One Area Yet I Can Buy From Other Area Shops Not That Far For The Old £11-00 To £12.00 Lb Average Price And What Leads Me To Suspecting This?
When A local Shop Suddenly Decides It Does Not Like Heathy Competition And Suddenly Decides You Spend £10 On Tackle And Get Your Bait Free????
A Cannot Work The Maths Out On This One But If They Are Selling At £14.00 Per Lb And Is Giving It Away With Every £10 You Spend??
Would It Not Make Ecconomical Sense To Slash The Price Overall In This Time Of Reccession And Provide His Customers With Value For Money Instead Of Short Term Cons To Which I Suppose He Will Be Charging £16.00 To Recoup It All Through The Winter??
Enyone Else Seen A Sharp Rise In General??
And How Come We Are Still Paying By The Lb This Was Discontinued Years Ago I Know I Would Be Prosecuted And I Know Of Tackle Shops That Have Why Not The Suppliers??
Interesting???
This Is Not Meant To Derogative Of The Trade In General But Questions Certain Methods Deployed In This Area Against Others??
Its Not As Though The Supermarkets Give A Dam About Prices They All Do Deals So Why Not The Tackle Trade??
Also In My Experiance I Would Sooner Sell My Bait And Sell Out Than Price It Up So Much I Wind Up Selling Mankie Bait Or Throwing It Out At The End Of The Day It Is A loss Leader And A neccessary Part Of A Tackle Shop I would Sooner Sell It Out Than Price Out My Customers??
The Idea Of A Tackle Shop Is Encourge More Potential Custumers Not Force Them To Give Up Fishing Because Ti Is So Expensive?
Maggot Prices Have Stayed The Same So is this Price Fixing Sea Anglers??

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Jeebus, I need to lie down after reading that

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
calm down!

i thought we could still sell in lb's and oz's, a lot more shops have started using it agin in my exprience, butchers, deli's etc, not just tackle shops.

whats wrong with lb's anyway, do you weigh you fish in kilo's? i don't!

as for price fixng, i reckon we get a good deal still, look at how much pretrol / deisel has risen, shop utility bills, etc, yet as you say, the prices have been stable.

also, whle i think on it, the price would be the same whether it be for 226g or 8 oz.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
calm down!

i thought we could still sell in lb's and oz's, a lot more shops have started using it agin in my exprience, butchers, deli's etc, not just tackle shops.

whats wrong with lb's anyway, do you weigh you fish in kilo's? i don't!

as for price fixng, i reckon we get a good deal still, look at how much pretrol / deisel has risen, shop utility bills, etc, yet as you say, the prices have been stable.

also, whle i think on it, the price would be the same whether it be for 226g or 8 oz.
correct in one way but if you bother to check the scales they use they are by law double teird i.e you will see price per lb price per kilo and the actual weight is measured in grams etc and for arguments sake lets take alook at course biats i,e groundbiats biolies etc if you look at the packs they are all ex grams or kilos?
as i said earlier maggots in most or should i say all tackle shops are usualy priced by litre athough every one ask for pints the shrewd tackle shop propitier says oh you mean a small measure and promptlly uses a measuring jug that we al lknow is in lml litre and fluid ounces?
the real question i should put i supose is what is the price of worm in your area?#
because i know it s very different in each region?
but i do suspect price fixing as i know and have many years ago done proffessional bait digging and its hard thankless work for £4.00 to £5.00 per lb if lucky?? and its the same now in most regions?
besides which with fuel increases i would expect to see £16.00 to £18.00 per lb in some areas soon? so whats the prices in your area?

·
Registered
673 Posts
correct in one way but if you bother to check the scales they use they are by law double teird i.e you will see price per lb price per kilo and the actual weight is measured in grams etc and for arguments sake lets take alook at course biats i,e groundbiats biolies etc if you look at the packs they are all ex grams or kilos?
as i said earlier maggots in most or should i say all tackle shops are usualy priced by litre athough every one ask for pints the shrewd tackle shop propitier says oh you mean a small measure and promptlly uses a measuring jug that we al lknow is in lml litre and fluid ounces?
the real question i should put i supose is what is the price of worm in your area?#
because i know it s very different in each region?
but i do suspect price fixing as i know and have many years ago done proffessional bait digging and its hard thankless work for £4.00 to £5.00 per lb if lucky?? and its the same now in most regions?
besides which with fuel increases i would expect to see £16.00 to £18.00 per lb in some areas soon? so whats the prices in your area?
I think it is quite indicative of the fact that anglers are feeling the pinch re prices nowadays,just look at the number of query's on here regarding the keeping of rag and lug along with methods of preserving same.Previously i am sure most anglers were like myself and chucked any left over bait into the sea.
Dave

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Price fixing does go on. I know that one shop was £14 a lb for worm and the other when he was out in the sticks used to be £12 lb...now the shop that was further away from the majority of anglers had moved into the same town as the other shop his price is £14 too. It may have something to do with higher overheads in the new shop ...but its strange both shops now are the exact same price per lb. Anglers will go to the cheapest shop for bait,so could a price differance at one shop see more trade in general...i think it could.
With Peeler crab sold in the shops locally,the price is semi fixed for them by the bait collectors i know,as the collectors have an agreement to charge the shop 50p per crab and not to go lower on price.So the shops can only charge so much extra or nobody would buy the bait if the price was too high....but do shops take crab from bait trap robbers?well ill let you make your own mind up on that ,but i know what ive heard.
It depends on type of bait and the cost to buy it in as to the shops price?. I know that one shop was getting his Sandeels for 65p a pack and selling for £2.25 upwards....word gets around on the angling grapevine pretty quick and now alot of anglers are sourcing their eels from the same place as the shop.(130 mile round drive) If the shop was more realistic on the sandeel profit margin he could sell loads.
Some bait types especially live baits that shops sell doesnt have the same profit margins for them as the tackle they sell as anglers will only pay so much for their bait. So sometimes bait is a way to get anglers into the shop who will hopefully buy other items whilst there. But the shops who try to make a bigger profit on bait dont seem to get as much trade in tackle items as anglers usually go to shops that have the cheapest bait.
So i cant see a real benefit of price fixing for Tackle shops with regard to bait,if they do price fix too high then anglers will use mail order these days. But for the spur of the moment trip if you need to use a shop for live bait and the price is too high then the shop is shooting itself in the foot ,as in my opinion if a shop wants to charge a high price for bait then ill get my bait and tackle elsewhere .(mailorder or internet)...so in this day and age i think its especially important for tackle shops to look after their customers or loose them. Fixed bait prices cant be a huge profit making tactic for tackle shops who are in competition with each other? So im not sure why they would want to do it?

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
does it matter?

maggots have always been pints, and i've yet to buy a plastic measuring jug which hasn't got pints on it,

rag, unless you want farmed, then you pay a premium, someone has to dig them and take them to the shop, then she shop has to sell em, i really don't think bait is all that epensive, is it?

we've just had our first increase in at least 4yrs i remember, £2 to 2.20 for ten worm. and rag (farmed) is £2.20 for 2oz, making your £14 a lb seem cheap. the scales in the shop are also, to my knowledge, in lb's and oz.

if your local shop is selling you 400g instead of 454 when you ask for a lb, then do something about it!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it is quite indicative of the fact that anglers are feeling the pinch re prices nowadays,just look at the number of query's on here regarding the keeping of rag and lug along with methods of preserving same.Previously i am sure most anglers were like myself and chucked any left over bait into the sea.
Dave
i fully agree we as sea anglers will feel the pinch more so than our course and game angling counterparts?
1/the distances a majority of us have to travel for some fishing rising fuel and parking charges etc?
bait prices in general?
2/tackle costs and losses by that i mean workout cost of rig and weight to snags etc crack-offs thats about £2.00 to £3.00 a chuck??
so yes i think everyone will look at cheaper options?
i.e chioce go to a tackleshop and pay £2.50 a box of squid or as i do a fishmongers and pay £1.60 a box £2.00 a pack of mackie or sandeel mussel or razor?
what as you see in supermarkets fishmongers etc a lot of cheaper fresher options now available the ammount of vac sealers you can buy ?it for most is the only viable option?
as you said look at the threads about keeping bait collecting bait we are all looking to persueing our sport in the end as cheaply as possible?
so the adverse side of all this?
price out the custumers make it formiddable for people thinking of takeing up the sport?
loose suppliers bait diggers give up and the sport suddenly becomes an elitist sport? for alot of effort and little reward?
compare a days course fishing for less than £20 and trout fishing for less than £20 eight fish limit and go catch and release??
the cheaper cost of tackle and local fishing venues?
do we need all these nails going in the coffin?
l

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
you have to remember that the shop has to pay for the bait, weather it is sold or not, or gone off. There is not a lot of profit to be made on bait , but at the end of the day it is what brings anglers to the shop, then buy tackle, that's where it becomes profitable. I would never even consider running a tackle shop, thankless job.

·
Banned
755 Posts
hi
Price fixing or not, if you want the bait bud, you pay the price or dig/collect your own. Its as simple as that. I buy a lot of my bait from private sources,and guess what, they are of similar prices to the shops in my area, the only difference being is that quality and reliability is virtually guaranteed from 'my' people. All said, i DO think price fixing goes on re bait. Go to a tackle shop regular and chances are you get some discount on your purchases, but strangely, not on live bait!

·
Banned
755 Posts
Hi sharpshooter,
I sure you are probably correct in what you say bud. All 'Cash in hand', both ways. And only dealing with 'approved' diggers etc.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I think sometimes that people forget that shops aren't a public service - they exist purely to make a profit. A retailer buys from one person at a low price and sells to another person at a higher price. Part of the profit goes to the Government and the rest is used to give the retailer an income. Ever heard of supply and demand? :)

I dig my bait but not locally so there's a cost to be taken into account for time and petrol, but sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I buy from a retailer. If I buy locally bait is expensive, if I drive to Weymouth or Poole its slightly cheaper but once again there's petrol and time to take into account if my fishing venue isn't near either place.

So I either time my journeys to allow for a digging session on my way to the fishing venue, or if its not possible because of tides I pay the premium for someone else doing the digging to make a wage and the retailer doing the selling to make a wage - where's the problem in that?

If retailers truly did price fix it wouldn't matter to me... I could buy in Blandford, Dorchester, Wareham, Weymouth, Portland, Poole, West Bay, Christchurch, etc, etc all at the same price instead of the present wide price variations.

Incidentally, just as a minor gripe, why when its easier to dig for worm and they're more plentiful in summer does the price go up in certain retailers? It wouldn't be anything to do with tourists and schoolkids buying bait for playing on the harbour walls and quays would it??? (You know who you are, you naughty retailers you.... :D)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I live in Portsmouth most local tackle shops are within a few pence of each other and sell by the lb but drive to southampton and its sold by the worm.this has always belwildered me as are local diggers have to drive past southampton most of the time to go dig thier bait,why is it different.by the way i pay £9.60 a lb.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think sometimes that people forget that shops aren't a public service - they exist purely to make a profit. A retailer buys from one person at a low price and sells to another person at a higher price. Part of the profit goes to the Government and the rest is used to give the retailer an income. Ever heard of supply and demand? :)
I dig my bait but not locally so there's a cost to be taken into account for time and petrol, but sometimes if I'm feeling lazy I buy from a retailer. If I buy locally bait is expensive, if I drive to Weymouth or Poole its slightly cheaper but once again there's petrol and time to take into account if my fishing venue isn't near either place.

So I either time my journeys to allow for a digging session on my way to the fishing venue, or if its not possible because of tides I pay the premium for someone else doing the digging to make a wage and the retailer doing the selling to make a wage - where's the problem in that?

If retailers truly did price fix it wouldn't matter to me... I could buy in Blandford, Dorchester, Wareham, Weymouth, Portland, Poole, West Bay, Christchurch, etc, etc all at the same price instead of the present wide price variations.

Incidentally, just as a minor gripe, why when its easier to dig for worm and they're more plentiful in summer does the price go up in certain retailers? It wouldn't be anything to do with tourists and schoolkids buying bait for playing on the harbour walls and quays would it??? (You know who you are, you naughty retailers you.... :D)
Thanks for your post.
Why is it on here that many folks seem to expect to pay pennies for live bait, either dug, collected or farmed.
Wake up to the real world, with the internet and Ebay.
Anyone wanting to buy live bait will be forced soon to pay carraige as most small Tackle shops will be bust, often due to these mean penny pinching anglers.

15,082 Posts
Thanks for your post.
Why is it on here that many folks seem to expect to pay pennies for live bait, either dug, collected or farmed.
Wake up to the real world, with the internet and Ebay.
Anyone wanting to buy live bait will be forced soon to pay carraige as most small Tackle shops will be bust, often due to these mean penny pinching anglers.
As Ive always said,Sea anglers are the meanest anglers in the game.

G

·
I have mates who are bait diggers and mates who are tackle shop owners and the whole bait thing is a nightmare. I even used to help a mate out digging at weekends when he got busy
Anglers are never happy, the worms are too, big, too small, too expensive etc.
Those of you who haven't dug bait before, go and try it before you complain. Digging in the snow, rain and hot sun isn't much fun.
I know what the diggers earn and I know how much the shops put on top. The diggers earn a reasonable wage, but it's bloody hard work and they deserve every penny in my opinion. As for the shops, I know how much gets chucked especially when the wind gets up and people cancel their bait because they can't get out on the boats.
I always offer to pay for my bait even if I have to cancel it, not that it happens very often.
Shops have to clear an awful lot of bait to make any money on it and I feel it's really just part of the service where the shops are concerned.
As for price fixing, all the shops in this area are priced differently for their bait, so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't happen.

15,082 Posts
I have mates who are bait diggers and mates who are tackle shop owners and the whole bait thing is a nightmare. I even used to help a mate out digging at weekends when he got busy
Anglers are never happy, the worms are too, big, too small, too expensive etc.
Those of you who haven't dug bait before, go and try it before you complain. Digging in the snow, rain and hot sun isn't much fun.
I know what the diggers earn and I know how much the shops put on top. The diggers earn a reasonable wage, but it's bloody hard work and they deserve every penny in my opinion. As for the shops, I know how much gets chucked especially when the wind gets up and people cancel their bait because they can't get out on the boats.
I always offer to pay for my bait even if I have to cancel it, not that it happens very often.
Shops have to clear an awful lot of bait to make any money on it and I feel it's really just part of the service where the shops are concerned.
As for price fixing, all the shops in this area are priced differently for their bait, so as far as I'm concerned it doesn't happen.
Bloody good post.:clap:
It's a shame others dont see it that way.I would be prepared to pay £50 a 100 rather than having to dig them!
Them guys that dig them deserve all the money they can get.
I personally think they should earn at least £25 per 100 for Lug but the anglers wouldn't pay for it...They may have too though looking at some of the rediculous proposals in the Marine Bill regarding bait collecting.
We now charge £2.80 per score...You would think it was the end of the world listening to some of them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ron, I gave you bait for free and you still have not taken me on your boat, all i wanted was a days fishing, a few cups of tea, being taught how to wear shorts at sea in the right essex fashion and maybe a little cuddle if the fishing was poo poo.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ron, I gave you bait for free and you still have not taken me on your boat, all i wanted was a days fishing, a few cups of tea, being taught how to wear shorts at sea in the right essex fashion and maybe a little cuddle if the fishing was poo poo.
Didnt know you wanted to join Ron's alternative boys Manny.
:bleh::bleh::icecream:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts