World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying with the idea of buying a bait pump, but do they work? If they do, why are tackle shops still managing to sell worms?
I haven't dug lug for years, I have had a heart attack, got old, & I'm too idle nowadays, but I used to enjoy doing it.
I quite like the idea of going down the beach & pumping some (if it works), I have seen Rex Hunt on Sky pumping sandworms & "yabbies" (whatever they are), but I have never seen one in "real" action.
So come on all you pumpers (& failed pumpers) lets have the good, bad, & indifferent views, on the different pumps available, & some tips on how to get results, before it gets slung into the shed with the rest of the "New Breakthrough in Angling" junk I have been conned into buying!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
blueskip, i uae an alvey bait pump. and yes they do work. but we r talking pumping in sand. ie, saundersfoot etc. it is hardwork on the bak thow, even at my age i suffer with the bottom of my back. and pumping makes it worse. but i get some lovely black lug with my pump. and bait shops sell bait i suppose be cause not every 1 likes 2 pump, or havent got a pump, or u cant pump rag. people r 2 lazy 2 do it 4 themselves. not all people, but it also tends 2 get u thinking just how hard work it is.u usually have 2 travel 2 get the worm. i go about 100 miles. so i get enough 2 freeze for the winter, if u do this u have 2 take the guts out of them, which is simple, but can b messy if done around the home, so i put plenty newspaper under them, then sprinkle salt over them, and the guts come out then. if u live local to the wormbeds, i suppose u can b lucky enough 2 go down 2 the beach 4 half an hour to an hour each time, which would b great. it can b worth doin, but after an heart attack i wouldnt really entertain it. m8. i am no doctor, but think i would rather buy them. good luck,

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poacher, thanks for the information m8, I am lucky in that I live in Swansea (maybe that isn't really lucky), but as far as worm beds are concerned, I am like an arab oil sheikh compared to many, I can get the time during the week to have an hour pumping worm.
Its got to be easier than digging the perishers, even in the summer it was usually 3 spits per worm if you were lucky, the pump takes the strain surely, all you have to do is bend down as it sucks the sand out, & squirt it out of the bottom? My back is ok, its my ticker thats dicky, so I reckon I might give it a try.
Is it any good for blow lug? or is it only any good for blacks (them with the dartboard cast), & what about mudworm (harbour rag) usually 2 forkfuls of mud, half an hour sifting, & you have enough for a session, would it pump estuary mud? or is it only good in pure sand?
I know I am asking for the Holy Graille, but as a golfer as well as an angler I have bought so many clubs, that are going to put this & that right, that there are more clubs in my shed than in my bag, I'm a sucker for "gizmo's" & usually they are no good, so I want the lowdown on the bait pump before I blow another £50! thanks,
Blueskip

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i never tried 1 in mud, but any sort of terrain with stones rocks in it and it wont work. i would like 2 think if estuary rag in soft soil etc, it might work. but i hope 1 of the other lads will help with that 1,. u r quite local 2 wormbeds then, so u should b fine. i no that llanelli is excellent for black, my m8 pumps them 4 the shops. i pumped 4 pound 1 day when i went with him, he pumped 13 and a half. i was a bit embarrassed but thinkin about it, he is used 2 it. u can go when u like, and when tired retire home, the pumps work fine, and r 4x better than a spade or fork.. dont go spending 50quid on a pump thow. buy the yellow weekly paper in your newsagents. its called the adtrader. u must have heard of it. bait pumps in there regularly. i got mine from there. i think there was 1 in last weeks.i will av a look now ang on....theres 1 in abergavenny but it may b 2 far 4 u.30quid.another idea 2 save your bak, is 2 go to a metal working shop and get your handle on your pump lengthened, ie, get som 1 to weld an extra piece of stainless pipe on the handle itself, weld the extended bit upwards, so as to save your back. if you want more info about this i will explain it when u got a pump. it is easier 4 u to understand when u have a pump 2 hand so to speak. hope this helps..

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poacher
There is no doubt "you are the man" when it comes to these pumps, & I am a long standing hand at salting down both lug & rag, I find that if you mix it with some fresh you can pile on the bait without skimping.
I like the sound of your modification to the pump to save the back, & a guy has a unit next door to me & he does a lot of stainless fabrication, & he owes me a couple of favours!
I have bought several things via adtrader I will have a shufti right now, e-bay have 2 on auction, 1 original Alvey still in the bag, & a shop in Llanelli is offering a slimmed down version which is supposed to be more productive? They could go for any price though, you get some nutter who will pledge more than they cost new!
I hope this thread runs a bit, there must be people out there with lots of tales to tell, I wonder what the most unusual thing to be sucked up has been?
Will contact you when I have my pump, & you can talk me through the mod, cheers. blueskip

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thats the problem with a bait pump its not what it costs or your back its how do you use the blooming thing??????
I have had one for about a month and used it a lot ,but i'm still buying the worms to sub the amount required for an outing.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jury
What we need to do is meet at a venue & Poacher (or his mate) can show us how its done, & what this secret modification is! Are you up for that poacher, have pumps will travel!
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jury
I just put bait pumps into Google & one of the contacts was as follows www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/blacklugfeature.htm it was a bit of a "duffers guide" maybe? But it seems to give an idea on how to start, I reckon even I could follow that set of instructions, go have a look! blueskip

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
get your pump and i can explain the modification. i am not a pro at pumping. there others out there who get a worm almost every cast, i get 1 in 3.approx. we can all ,meet up in a month or 2. as long as you do no where plenty of worm traces r. otherwise its saundersfoot. that place in llanelli is good, cant remember the way.. tryin 2 think of the name of the place. well known fishing spot. huge sandy beaches.. near rhossili i think.and pembrey. my bro just said the millenium park.any of u guys no that. and is there worm there. cos it was pembrey i went. let me no, and we will discuss this little matter further. gentleman,,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nice one Skip/ Poacher: There's one good reason why I only get 1 in 4 worms ,thats is I was told to go directly over the cast and straight down ,hence the amount of worms I missed and cut.
There's a good bed if thats what you call it at Aberavon its hell of a walk towards the Ferry bend but there are plenty of casts on the spring tides at low water. I'll let you know how I get on armed with this info
Cheers Jury

I

·
0 Posts
bait pumps ?good and bad good for my pocket but bad for my back.honest some times the money i have spent on going from my town merthyr up to cefn sidan on a good low tide walk forever up the beach get there and fight the cardiff pumpers for space and only get enough black for one session it makes me then think why do i bother?that said thiugh on a good day when the wind is with you [and it does help] you can get good results.let's just say if i lived nearer the sea i would never buy bait again but being 6ft 2 my back is saying buy the sodding bait please....andy iwantacod...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
just thought i would add to the thread, thre is also a razor fish bed down by the ferry bend on aberavon. I want a bait pump know but im to lazy(which is bad becasue im only 21 ).

kelvin (lazy fat bastard ) lol

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poacher
Listen very carefully, & DONT LET ANYBODY ELSE READ THIS, head from Saundersfoot Harbour out towards Monkstone Point & at low water on a spring tide you will be soaking wet from them squirting as you walk over their "keyholes", also Oxwich Beach on Gower can produce at low water on big tides, also under the Ledges at Rhossili on L.W. spring tides, apart from that I cant help you!
Blueskip

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
thanks blueskip i do get them at saundersfoot. but wanted somwhere closer 2 cardiff, sounds like the oxwich then m8..

·
Registered
35 Posts
poacher I never gut my lug I put lots of news paper down and plenty of salt to cover them, leave them for 3 days or so, change the paper and re salt them, make sure they are dry , then roll them in cling film . Try it it does work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
poacher when they squart they could be clams or razor there is a difference in the holes, you can dig down with your hands if they are clams, they are not as quick and not as deep as razor.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
WELSHBOUY i do exactly the same as u with my lug, i dont gut them, but i only leave them overnight, not 3 days, cos they tend 2 go 2 hard.ive always done them overnight. but if any 1 else wants 2 add their ideas, on how they do them, we would all like 2 know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts