World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'm new to sea fishing and have a few questions i'd like to ask:
1. What does calamari squid strip catch other than dogfish?
2. If I topped the squid with lugworm would that enable be to catch a wider variety of species, if so which species?
3. What baits do pollock take?
4. Baits do Bass take?
5. When fishing squid topped with lug, could I thread the squid up to the top of the hook and present the lug so it hangs over off the hook about 5cm?
6. WHat would Lug on its own take?

CHeers, James

·
Registered
65 Posts
its all going to be different every where , but il try

1 - black bream, small bass, dab,mackerel, garfish ,small pollock, whiting and real flucky bar tenders pick up the cod on it
2- dont know as we dont use much lug round my way
3- lures are best fun, for them but also squid , mackerel, rag worm, shrip, sandeel, or anythink that moves and will fit in there gob
4- depends on area- round hear rag worm , peeler, sandeel(live or dead), mackerel(live or dead), pout(live )and some lures
5- same as answer2
6- i beleave- dabs , bass, flounder, codling and iv had conger on it up on the bristal channel b4
well hope that helps

·
Registered
696 Posts
hope this helps:

1) same as above

2)you should catch pretty much anything that bottom feeds, see no.6

3)best baits round here are sandeel, ragworm or rubber eels

4) Bass will eat pretty much anything! generally rag or lug for smaller ones, tobys and wedges are pretty good, squid, mackeral, crab, sandeel.

5) put the lug on first and thread it up the hook, then use the squid to stop the lug from sliding down the hook too badly. Pennel rigs are good for this

6) Lug would take wrasse(all varieties), bass, pollock, plaice, dover sole, dab, red mullet, garfish, small congers, dogfish, poor cod, pouting, rockling, cod, whiting, black bream, gilthead bream and pretty much any other bottom feeding fish.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
It does depend on time of year and location

1. As above plus (at the moment in Hampshire) I have caught conger, tope and smoothound
2. Yes, in the South Cost I would top ragworm with squid for flatties
3. Fish strip, squid strip, prawns, artificial lures, baited feathers
4. Beach - big lumps of macky, squid, peeler crab, worm fished close in. Offshore - fish strip, squid, but best of all sandeel
5 I would do ut the other way round, thread the lug on and tip with squid as it holds it all together
6. Flatties, bass, codling in winter, in fact anything that is bottom feeding at the time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts