World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking through the carp anglers weapons the other day and got a little excited about the bait Bag!Mmm what if i could get a bait to the bottom nicely netted disolving slowly to release a chum into the location of my hook instead of the general area. went strait to my local tackle shop where he explained that this was not possible with wet baits as the nets dissolve to quickly. i settled for a pike bomb and some shad pellets to go in it which i have not used yet. is anyone aware of a bait bag that lasts longer for sea use or off another method of delivering a bait 150 yards and getting to the sea bed before it is dispersable?I have Dvices at my disposal however they eject the bait higher up the water column however i think a combination of the two sounds a little usefull.The pike bomb only really needs fine tuning,find a pipe the same internal diameter and fill it with your own blend of ingredients freeze it and bobs your uncle.Downside is that its a bit chunky and even more bits to get snagged.
If a mod could move this into the bait forum i would be gratefull

G

·
well you could always wait till low water and maybe bury somthing ?? at the distance you can cast ?
use gelatine bags ?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Try a triple PVA bag (i.e. bag, within a bag, within a bag), and if possible use frozen, rather than fresh, bait as the filling.

The use of frozen bait will reduce the free moisture level, and the triple bagging will increase the duration before the outer bag (last barrier) will rot.

If you do not fill the triple bag assembly (although you could have the triple bag assembly made up in advance, without bait content that is) with the frozen bait until the moment just prior to casting then I would reckon that you will be able to achieve your aim.

At least, that's what I would try were I to attempt this type of groundbaiting from the shore.

An alternative chumming method you may wish to consider is to fabricate a device out of something akin to a plastic 35mm film canister, or a kinder egg container (you know the thing the little toy comes in.

You would need to modify it a little to make it more streamlined, drill/punch/cut numerous small holes in it (Tetleys teabag styleeee), and superglue a running link swivel to the base (i.e. you need to have it on the opposite end to that which you will fill it through) of it (for attaching to your line).

You would fill it with cotton wool which you had soaked in the attractant of your choosing (pilchard oil, mackerel oil, mushed up lugworm, etc) just prior to casting.

A major difference between groundbaiting for coarse fish, and chumming for sea fish, is that in sea fishing the importance is to build up a scent trail, where as in coarse fishing it is more, or equally as, important to lay down a carpet of particulate.

Therefore the ability to lay down a scent trail (attractant soaked cotton wool) should suffice for sea angling purposes, where as the importance of the utilisation of PVA bags in coarse fishing is because of their need to lay down particulates/sample baits.

Obviously, all of the above is, in my humble opinion.
And I readily accept contrary opinion, and constructive discussion, in relation to the above suggestion.

Tight lines :punk:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts