World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
For shore fishing and depending on what type of rigs your fishing artificial's for mackeral like feathers,spinners or rubber eels, bait wise usually float fished strips of mackeral and sandeels, for bass whole squid, peeler crab or mackeral head and guts, live pouting or even a live mackeral or float fished live sandeel, hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get hold of a copy of the book 'Hooked on Bass'. You will find a copy on Amazon. Best book you will find on Bass fishing, and a cracking read.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
jakeb said:
What bait would be the best for mackeral and bass

Jakeb

I ve caught bass on rag and lug (squid cocktail). Mackeral take anything shiny. All the macky i've caught have been caught on feathers or spinners.

Woodster

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Look for what bass might be feeding on! By that I mean that if they are shoaling and chasing small baitfish (whitebait, sandeels etc.) then fish with them or an imitation. The fish will be on the surface and in a feeding frenzy! Most mackeral are caught this way if you've ever been on a popular mark completely covered with humanity thrashing the surface with spinners and feathers. You can catch both on 'flies' or small lures on a fly rod - great sport if you can get near them and have better skill than I (I have caught on the flyrod but technique is not .... brilliant!) I could catch to order ( afew years ago mind) however using a Norwegian Rubber eel and a trolling rod! Don't forget that bass will eat larger fish like small pouting/codling/pollack/joey or small mackeral so use them - try sprats and sardines from Tescos!

When bass are preoccupied with capturing crab, worms and shellfish, fish accordingly. So if they are 'fishing' up under lifting weed after the hiding crabs, then use that bait. You can sometime see them at it just feet away from you and sometimes behind you when you wade out to cast 'to-the-horizon! If the bottom is muddy and is where you were digging worm then chances are the bass do a bit of searching there as well (as well as other species, e.g. flounder where I fish) They'll take worms in the weed and crab in the mud, they're hungry devils, just look how active their food makes them! So although shellfish are great in surf (as they are being 'dug-up' by the waves, try crab and worms there as well, as well as sandeels, live or frozen!

Bass have amazing appetites and feeding fads. The shore record for many years was caught on Hermit crab and I can remember a 15lb+ one caught in an estuary on a huge lump of Smoked herring - kipper, that had seen better days and ponged more than usual! Just think how the bloke who decided to use it thought when he hooked a specimen. So if you're desperate to fish and have no bait yet think about the 'artificial' baits coming on the market - Ultrabite, Fish n' Strips. Bass have VERY large mouths so don't be frightened about using massive baits. Hope you catch your first Bass this year - you will never forget it even if it gets its own back and pricks you with its spines!

·
Registered
58 Posts
A really exciting way of catching mackeral is to make a long up and over rig (upto 10ft snood) with lightish line and pop it up with a sliver of mackeral for bait. The snood can be way off of the bottom depending on angle of rod and depth of water etc. When they hit, they hit hard and it is great fun on light gear. We get loads of macky bashers at Chesil in the summer and anyone can hurl out some feathers and catch 4 or 5 each time. When you see hundreds of mackeral dumped in the drainage ditch at the back of Abbotsbury beach just because people want to catch them, it makes me sick. If you can catch 1 at a time on light gear, they put up one hell of a fight and it can take you a couple of hours to catch what some idiot can catch in10 mins. My idea of good fun catching mackeral.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Blankin Barry said:
A really exciting way of catching mackeral is to make a long up and over rig (upto 10ft snood) with lightish line and pop it up with a sliver of mackeral for bait. The snood can be way off of the bottom depending on angle of rod and depth of water etc. When they hit, they hit hard and it is great fun on light gear. We get loads of macky bashers at Chesil in the summer and anyone can hurl out some feathers and catch 4 or 5 each time. When you see hundreds of mackeral dumped in the drainage ditch at the back of Abbotsbury beach just because people want to catch them, it makes me sick. If you can catch 1 at a time on light gear, they put up one hell of a fight and it can take you a couple of hours to catch what some idiot can catch in10 mins. My idea of good fun catching mackeral.
Couldn't agree more mate.

Cheers,

Shad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts