World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I recently moved to Trondheim, Norway from Australia and am trying to get into the fishing here. I was wondering what sort of bait to use and where to get it as I am struggling to find somewhere to buy it. I have read about lugworm but am not sure where to dig it and have googled eveything I can think of about where to buy it to no avail and as I haven't seen any sandy beaches here I am at a loss. I've tried lures bit haven't had much luck and was wondering if bait was the best way to go. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have no idea if lug are available in Norway, but with regards collecting them do a search on the Bait Forum as there is a lot of info..pumping them is very popular now, but they can be dug....

Other baits to try would be mackerel, peeler crab, uncooked prawns, live prawns, sand eels (live or dead bait), shell fish of various types...Rag worms are pretty popular over here also, but again I have no idea whether they are available /worth trying in Norway..

·
Read Only
0 Posts
When travelling to fishing destinations in Northern Norway there seems to be lug beds at the end of the fjord where it flats out with sand at low tide, but your area may be flatter and not have those features? All those baits Pete E mentioned above ought to work although I'd prefer lug over anything if shore fishing so might be worth having a drive around on the bigger low tides. Also have a look at the sea charts which may be attached as a sticky in the European section. I'd look for very shallow spots that extend for a reasonable distance as good chance they will have some lug beds. I'd start off using a fork for digging rather than a bait pump as most likely will be blow rather than black lug.

·
Registered
298 Posts
When I stayed at Skarnsundet I went out and dug some lugworm, in one of the bays nearby that dried out at LW. There is plenty of it about, get out there with a fork and do some digging. We also watched some locals using it as bait and were catching codling every cast. Also be persistent with the lures, just a matter of finding the right spot at the right time, the fish are there.

·
Registered
577 Posts
i live on the west coast. There is quite an argument going with the locals who mostly say that there is no need to use bait.
Today i was way out to sea with a friend using bait and me not - he was outfishing me all the time - i use a lot of lug - always dig - if youre careful you can have them in a bucket for up to a week, but you need to follow a number of guidelines.
To make them and all baits last i use a thin elastic thread most often found in sewing and habedashery shops - the thin stuff fishing tackle shops sell is difficult to use - so bait has a tendancy to stay on even after it has been eaten a few times. Fact is all you need is the first fish you catch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts