World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, I need some feed back. is it possible to freez bait on the hook, and
store for winter fishing, I am thinking all the usual baits, so I can just hook my bait
strait to my booms.:doh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi mate, i have heard on here people feeding peeler crabs onto hooks and freezing them for that reason! i dont see the harm of it aslong as you use bait alastic to keep them on :showoff:

·
13,170 Posts
A number of people have recommended doing this, in a few threads.

G

·
I like the idea, but, when baiting up, the eye of my hook is well covered, the only bit showing being the hook point, so how would you bait, freeze then tie your hook to your rig ??

·
Registered
463 Posts
I like to bait up on the beach as I think you get better presentation for most baits. Having said that for really messy baits like mussels and Cuttlefish it could save a lot of time and mess on the beach if you had it prepared before. So well worth a go for those.
But the answer to your question is, yes it is possible to freeze bait on a hook. Whip it on with plenty of elastic though.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've always been a little cautious about freezing a hook or mono snood. Not sure if it has any effect, but I err on the side of caution

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I freeze baits on home made baiting needles, I make them from lead wires with a crimp on the end, good for putting a load of defrosted blacks on into sausages with elastic, then less time doing it whilst fishing, could be done with most baits that need elastic,

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Yes go for it mate, I put mine on snap swivel a trace, then all I have to do is clip on and cast, freezing will not harm your mono:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Not worth the hassle IMO, plus it makes things less flexible. I'd also be worried about the hooks rusting if they are in there for any length of time. But to each their own.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I like the idea, but, when baiting up, the eye of my hook is well covered, the only bit showing being the hook point, so how would you bait, freeze then tie your hook to your rig ??
The way I have done it before with crab baits, is to tie some rigs with one of the small gemini clips on the end of the hooklength, then clip the baited hook onto this. Works with clipped rigs really well.
That way no line goes into the freezer, just the hook :thumbs:
Also, if you straighten out a paper clip, and put 5mm ish of it through the eye of the hook, then twist the rest of the paperclip in a spiral around the shank of the hook, it stops the bait slipping down the shank of the hook and covering the point. Just push the spike of paperclip coming out of he hook eye into the bait, the lay the bait along the hook shank, bind on with elastic, into the freezer, bish bash bosh done.
Take out of flask, clip into rig, cast it out takes a minute. Lot quicker than removing any remainder of old bait and elastic. Put the old hooks into a little pot, take them home to re do another time. Good for if you get a run of fish at a certain point of the tide and dont want to fanny around baiting :thumbs:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm sure I saw a guy selling pre-baited and frozen hooks on eBay a few weeks backs.
Looked like a good idea to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts