World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i always remove the tail and put on tail first, thus leaving the hook at the end where the most scent is coming from,

rag i do the other way around, so as the tail is left hanigng off the hook and wriggling about.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
yes i put rag on head first for the tail movement, i think when fishing for cod a good thing to use is a floating bead on your trace. as they suck in the bait, theis would let the bait fly in easier thus giving you more chance of a hook up. if using more than 1 lug i like to use a pennel, still, i always have the head end by the hook. so if i am using a pennel i will put on the first worm head first so it is by the hook point, and then the last worm tail first to achieve the same thing. jsut my thoughts, wont mater much tho, only with fiddley small fish. could mean the diff in hooknig and missing a bite though

·
Registered
26,103 Posts
You never know how a fish is going to take a worm. Just have a hook(s) which matches the size of the bait. I'd usually go for a Pennell with more than 5 or 6 inches of bait.

Fish attack baits in different ways. With a cod, for instance, the bucket mouth is often used as an exercise in fluid dynamics with a large volume space (vacuum) being created and a gobful of water and particles being 'sucked in', bait included. It would barely matter whether the worm was head or tail-first hooked.

Ada
Ada ,
Your post just made me think and post this

I have often wondered that with such a big volume of water being sucked in do the Cod and other bottom feeders actually suck at/pump worm casts when the worms are nearer the sand/mud top layer.

My biggest cod had a cavernous mouth void that I could have put a pint milk bottle in and still have had room for a couple of beers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.