World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi ROADKILL,

First load your needle with worms, or as we say in Scotland - Wurms.

Put the point of your hook into the hole at one end of the needle and thread the wurms up onto your hook.

That's it, no problem

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
205 Posts
when you put the hook point into the end of the needle,
you have to hold the line tight.
you hold the line and the needle with 1 hand and push the worm on with the other.

has anyone got a piccy ?
it's easier to see it than say it :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I would`nt be without a needle....they make baiting with lug/rag so much easier,especially blow lug.They are pretty cheap to buy,but you tend to lose them on a regular basis (or is that just me :) ) you can knock up a load yourself by putting a crimp on the end of a bicycle wheel spoke,and file the other end to a point........i`m sure next door`s kids won`t miss the odd spoke off their bikes :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
they are great, never used to like them but they are very good for long lug, still aint got 1 though, have to keep on chaving my mates :p

·
Registered
153 Posts
Like most of you out there i have lost several baiting needles and a few weeks ago i was geting my gear ready for a fishing trip the next day when i hit upon a idea of how to NEVER LOSE A NEEDLE AGAIN. ;)
for several hours that night i perfected and tweeked my invention with dreams that every fisherman in the land would want one (they wouldnt need two).
I couldnt sleep that night as i wanted to get to the beach and try it under battle conditions, and in the morning i did just that, i dropped it here, i threw it there, i got people to hide it, but i found it EVERY TIME.
All i need to do now is find a way to get the worms over the attractor beads i superglued to the needle and i,ve got a winner.
I am takeing advance orders now for those of you who want to avoid the christmas rush. :eek:

(those of you (un)lucky enough to know me will know
this is a true story)
Best Fishes Mouse.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
i never new what they were until i read this and am going to make some up for the weekend.
takes me bloody ages to get worm on the hook so anything that makes it easyer is good for me.
ROADKILL that was the best Q i have read on this site :)

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
since my bro started me on bait needles I use mine all the time.At 99p they are cheap enough to buy 1 or 2 for your tackle box, I keep mine with my fileting knife in it's sheath so i dont lose it.
I have the thinner sharp one and i use it for both lug and rag, but i guess you could even pass through sandeels or even joey mackerel so that the hook and snood pass right through the bait. :D

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
OK this might sound like a daft idea BUT - anyway!

If you're fishing for bass, pollack etc so you don't need a super-heavy snood:

Would a thin needle, maybe 8-10" long with an eye at one end with your snood end through the eye, thread up through say a full-on king rag OK? Because if it did you could thread the worm up the snood, then disengage the line from the needle when it's gone right through, tie on a hook and slide a pretty intact worm back down the hook-shank leaving the curve & point free to do its job.

I'm sure this would work with sandeel baits too - especially the frozen variety. It takes seconds to tie on a hook so I'm not worried about that aspect. Just wondering where to find such a needle so I can try the idea out!

If I do and it works/doesn't I'll let you all know :)

Cheers - John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts