World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hi out there - I have recently taken up fishing again now kids are older. I fancy trying my hand at plug and lure fishing around the south hams where I live. Having read the article in this site on powerball fishing I purchased a similar product called ballrag which is used to help cast light weight lures further. Now having got home I was a little confused to see two swivels attached to an eye on one end of the float/weight and nothing on the other.I presumed there was going to be a swivel either end.Do any of you know how it's meant to be used please??

ps I fished it tonight and just attached plug to one swivel and main line to the other and to my surprise it seemed to work ok-didn't appear to influence movement of plug but did get caught up now and again.I don't think I'll bother with it again though unless I'm casting into wind as I didn't feel you gain that much,and it takes away the beauty of fishing really light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello mate, I have always tied the mainline off to the top loop and the dropper to the lure from one of the swivels at the bottom. This places the Ballrag inline rather than swinging around and will probably reduce tangles. They are best used to fish Eddystone Eels and similar which obviously have insuficient casting weight on their own. Dont worry about the fish being spooked by the Ballrag as it acts as a popper, causing a disturbance for the fish to home in on. Once in the area they will then nail the eel. Experiment with retrieve speeds but often a slow steady one works well. As long as the tail is wagging away well on the eel then all is well. I have had lots of success fishing the tiny white delta eels off a floating fly line for school bass so they should work just as well if not better as described above. Hope that helps a bit. I must admit that the added weight does detract from the fun of fishing very light. They are basically just a better option to a bubble float if thats your thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that,
not had any luck yet with plugs or spinners,despite spending a fortune!!
Am looking forward to the weekend with late evening low tide but will be using good old peeler instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts