World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
Yep you can fish at the mouth of the river but you will be asked by locals what you're fishing for as there is a good run of salmon and sea trout that run the river. Most guy's fish the beach at the other end (pan rocks). Cross over the bridge and take the first road on the left and park in the lay-by on your left. Just in case you have never fished that area. I am sure someone will give you more and precise info soon.:D

· Registered
3 Posts
Not so sure about where the river meets the sea, Ive been down quite alot to pan's over the summer months and it's very rare that you would see anyone fishing from the beach. Pan's rock is very good for Wrasse fishing with Ballan and corkwing, off the point of pan's very good for spinning with some decent pollack taken on a tsunami 60g lure. I have heard that a couple of times during the summer some fishermen have got 10+ salmon.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The river meets the see right on the beach at the seafront, thought it might have been good spot for flatties, of course you run the risk of catching trout or salmon. Must try Pans rocks at some stage, are they flat rocks?

· Registered
3 Posts
Yea pretty much so up after the bridge, few crevices and gaps to jump, be cautious on high tide levels and rough sea you can get caught out with freak swells, sometimes the sea can engulf the area of rock behind you and may get wet on the way back.

· Registered
3,966 Posts
I"d tend to stay away from the river mouth unless its been dry for a spell Jonny-M as far as sea fish go.
Thats at all venues. Used to fish Ballycastle a lot:) and like all places it can turn up some good fishing but on the whole its mostly crap:eek: Pans rocks can be deadly, in terms of safety, and only really has one fishing station.

Other than Pans rocks during the day or late evening its always the beach at night for me.
Good beach for a bit of shelter when its blowin from the South, South-West, South, South East.

A beach for tiddlers, and Coalys in the gutter:mad: who have a taste for expensive peeler crab:)
We have had Bass, Turbot, White trout, and i once heard tell of Smoothies.
But all hit and miss.

Fed...:rolleyes:

· Registered
1 Posts
I am planning to be up fishing in the Portrush area on the weekend, including Ballycastle. I haven't fished the area before and was wondering if you could give me some advice on potentially good baits for fishing up there? What baits do you think might work well on that area of coastline? Any advice either here or pm appreciated.

· Registered
22 Posts
I am planning to be up fishing in the Portrush area on the weekend, including Ballycastle. I haven't fished the area before and was wondering if you could give me some advice on potentially good baits for fishing up there? What baits do you think might work well on that area of coastline? Any advice either here or pm appreciated.
This might be a bit late but anyway
For bait, you can't beat ragworm around there. Ragworm, lugworm and mackerel is gonna be catching you most of the fish. Whether it's beaches, piers or rock marks mackerel and worms will catch it all. Ragworm can be a bit expensive and lugworm isn't as available around tackle shops, but you can dig your own lugworms at low tide and once you get good at it you save money and it's good craic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.