World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Im pretty lucky as the spot I fish is a tidal pond so for several tides they cant get out and once you get the knack for spinning they are great fun catching.
Got my spinners on the table ready for treble removal and single hooking with rag. Had loads of bass on them as well but not big ones. The sea was high and flat and "mullety" looking today! Straight retrieval Best?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Right went goby hunting on me hols in Weymouth Harbour, caught these 3 and by looking at pics on line, plus pics that some you guys have put up Im pretty sure I've got two species right, just not the last one! so..

29. Black Goby
IMG_20190703_121524872.jpg

30. Rock goby
IMG_20190704_110303697.jpg

If Im wrong on them please tell me and ill try to correct the post, this one Im totally lost with, tho a mate said could be a baby Giant Goby, all help appreciated as still trying to learn the little critters.
IMG_20190703_122051212.jpg

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
There are lots of black gobies in Weymouth harbour. Your last fish looks like a juvenile/female black goby. The adult males have the long fin extensions as in pic 1. The diagnostic feature is the leading edge of both dorsals has a dark mark, clearly visible in pic 3.
Pic 2 is definitely a rock goby with the orange band on its dorsal.
Later in the year you should be able to get some sand gobies higher up in the harbour. I tried last week but couldn't find any.
Never seen a giant goby at Weymouth, but I have been told you can get leopard spotted gobies. Never seen one though. There were tons of mullet about though.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
leopard spotted gobies
Cheers for ID's Phil, much appreciated. I did wonder if it was a small Leopard spotted as I saw a pic that looked very similar but then again I saw several pics of other types of Gobies and they looked like it too, very confusing. We was holiday for a couple days over there and she let me go fishing but as its not that far on from Chesil and I fish that, I may go try it again for a day, was nice fishing all along the harbour side. Thanks again for the ID:thumbsup:.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts