World Sea Fishing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
that looks like a Spotted Dragonet
Thanks for that Ben, I didn't realise there are quite a few different Dragnets, hard to tell them apart as well, Ive just seen pics f both types and they look like the one I caught, then I found a pic of a reticulated one and that looked like it too!! Be lot easier if there was just one type:D:D:D

·
Banned
247 Posts
Thanks for that Ben, I didn't realise there are quite a few different Dragnets, hard to tell them apart as well, Ive just seen pics f both types and they look like the one I caught, then I found a pic of a reticulated one and that looked like it too!! Be lot easier if there was just one type:D:D:D
You really need to see the dorsal fins, they are the bits that are spotted or reticulated not the bits shown in the photo. Ideally we'd all take a transparent container with us and photograph the fish in water, ( and a rope, and a bucket ) as if we don't carry enough stuff 'just in case'.

I based the identification on this pic. of your fish's twin. Same coloration, snout, eyes and first dorsal. I'm sure it isn't the 'common' dragonet.

drag.jpg

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I based the identification on this pic. of your fish's twin
Yep ill definitely go with your id, thank you:thumbsup:.
That looks a good book, what's the name of it as I could do with another reference book, I have DR Dippers British sea fishes already, I know there lots a info online but I do enjoy leafing through a book a bit more.

·
Banned
247 Posts
Yep ill definitely go with your id, thank you:thumbsup:.
That looks a good book, what's the name of it as I could do with another reference book, I have DR Dippers British sea fishes already, I know there lots a info online but I do enjoy leafing through a book a bit more.
That's from
Identification Guide to the Inshore Fish of the British Isles Paperback – 8 Jan 2015
by Peter A. Henderson expensive at £25

I've just got
Fishes of the Sea
The North Atlantic and Mediterranean
By Gillian Lythgoe and John Lythgoe
for about £3
looks a good book too.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Brilliant, thanks very much for that, it may go down on the Christmas present list if I don't get before that.
How strange. Sunday I was sent a picture of this book by an interested non fishing mate.
His next door neighbour is the brother of the executive director and book designer and also the neighbour/brother is my mates wifes step father.
Not complicated at all!
Small world.
Screenshot_20190902-173103.png
Screenshot_20190902-173103.png

·
Registered
22,578 Posts
Got to love the red mullet and the sole!!!!

Reactions: bananas
41 - 60 of 64 Posts