World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all.
hoping to stop down this way in july/august time on eagle point campsite or nearby.

what the fishing like at that time of year, what can i expect to catch and whats the bottom generally like?

any info appreciated
cheers, nick

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Nick

A mate and I drove down to Bantry Bay from Scotland last July - mixed results. Mackerel were by far the most common species but we did catch a good mix of doggies, bull huss, conger, cuckoo wrasse, pout and pollack.

The main problem there is the roads, or lack of them - very narrow and not that many places to stop! The tourist board publish a map/fishing guide with the species you can expect to catch highlighted on each mark. I would take this with a pinch of salt - designed to catch anglers not fish.

The best mark we fished was Shot Head, a bit of a rough road/dirt track - best thing - you can fish here in almost any conditions. Mixed ground, not too bad on tackle, we got a good mixed bag. Mackerel and jelly worms are the only two baits required.

There is a tackle shop in Castle Town Bere - not sure about the spelling on that.....no good for local knowledge but they have a good range of bits and bobs - would recommend the storm sandeels - about half the price over there!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had 2 weeks in the area last year- rented a cottage on Mizen Head.

I didn't fish much on the Beara, as the fishing was so good
locally. However, I did enjoy a couple of really good sessions
at Dursey Sound, almost under the cable -car: the best of the pollock going to 5 pounds. I also tried the lovely little strand a Ballydonegan,without much luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Nick

Like all the s.west peninsulas access can be hard or easy depnding who you listen to and what advice you take notice of. We had a disabled angler here a few weeks ago who caught good huss and thornback ray and was delighted with the ease of access. There are some other marks though that only the fittest (or maddest) of anglers would want to fish. Give me a call when you are in the area and I will let you know how the fishing is going, if you need bait I always have sand eel, squid etc in stock.
My details are [email protected] or web site www.dromagowlanehouse.com where the latest news of catches is posted or phone 027 60330 - from the UK 00 353 27 60330.

best wishes

Paul

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi mate,

I stayed at exactly your site a couple of years ago...and almost at the same time! The fishing was amazing. There is a little headland which you can walk to which is at the end of the site towards the bay. You will know what I mean when you see it. I brought a beachcaster with me so tried feathering for mackerel. Because I was casting from about 15 / 20 ft above sea level it flew out a long way......and I just about had a hernia pulling in a full shot of mackerel on about 6 times which is all I could manage. I caught lots of pollock and found the best sport was to use a spinning rod with a bubble float, 6 ft leader and a fly from my trout fishing box. Caught loads!
Hope you have a great time and successful fishing trip.
Tight lines,
Rich
p.s. If you check my photobucket you can see a pic of me with a pollock I caught there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts