World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between 2.30am and 3.00am Saturday morning, alarm clocks were ringing one by one in the Valleys as The Bargoed Sea Anglers were waking up to start their journey to Plymouth.

On Geordie Dicksons "C-Cheeta" by 7am was the plan, and the agreed rendez-vous our side of the bridge was Magor services at 3.45am. Soon enough a convoy of cars headed down the M5 for a days wreck fishing. At Plymouth early, we called in McDonalds for breakfast and a coffee. Then over to the boat and we left on time.

Soon Plymouth disappeared in the distance, and after a brief stop to stock up on fresh mackeral the 40+ mile journey out to sea began...

Unfortunately the sea wasnt the calmest on Saturday. Huge swells and a few of our boys found the long journey out to the wrecks a bit hard for the stomach to handle. One or two sausage and egg Mcmuffins were returned back over the side of the boat.

Once on the first drift it soon became clear that jellyworms were the flavour of the day and most of us onboard landed some nice sized pollock.

Simon with one of the first Pollock of the day...

The biggest Pollock of the day went to Nathan with this of 7 to 8lb...

Richard then caught a lovely specimen Red Gurnard which I dont think was far off 1.5lb.

The decision was made to try a different wreck and give bottom fishing a go with plenty of fresh mackeral flappers as bait. It was only my second drop when I felt a bit of a dead weight, reeled up a few turns and could feel what was a really good fish on.
We were in 200ft of water and cranking it up wasnt going to be easy, but it was worth it when it broke the surface and we could see it was a tidy fish.

My 23lb Ling...

No sooner was I baiting up for another drop and Howard to my right hit into a huge fish. His rod was doubled over and the fight was on...

I had another drop and it was fish on again only to lose it mid water. Then the next drop, and as soon as the lead hit the bottom another good fish hit! Things were going mad! Both myself and Howard were bending into good fish! I got mine up and it was weighed and returned, a 10.5lb Conger.

Meanwhile Howards battle passed the 15 minute mark...

As Howard moved around the boat fighting this monster of the deeps his line eventually gave through and it was over. We were all gutted for him. The general opinion afterwards was that this was a big eel that had sadly taken a dive back into the wreck after taking Howards bait, and it wasn't coming back out. On the way back to Plymouth at the end of the day Gary the deckhand was telling me that he's seen Conger to 70lb caught from that wreck whilst working for Geordie, so its anyones guess what the true size of Howards big fish was.

As the afternoon progressed some more nice ling were caught. Kevin and Paul both catching into the doubles.

Kevins 10lb Ling...

And Pauls 14lb'er...

Shortly afterwards we had a last drift and were then heading back to Plymouth and the day was over. A nice selection of fish caught. Most of us caught up on a bit of kip going back in. I got home 11.30pm, it was a long day. Some of the lads were clever and stayed the night in Plymouth.

Hope I got the weights of everyones fish correct. Cant remember them all to the ounce sorry.

Special thanks has to be given to Gary the deckhand/crewman who was awesome all day long.

Next boat trip for The Bargoed Sea Anglers is Aberystwyth at the end of the month. We're after the tope then :D

Till next time...

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
great report, robbo. those ling are long!!

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
great report m8 and those ling as steve said are long ...look out those tope lol...

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Hi guys.wot a great trip ..rob you is comeing up in the world, a good year for you...ill get some cotton wool for my ears coz this is all ill hear for months....time we got down the LA m8:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
Well done lads! Max effort for a very good return. Excellent report to!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
great stuff, i remember geordie when he had the artilleryman, fishing 40/60 miles out back in the early 80s, caught a nice 90lb conger, same thing, about 20 mins fight, the thing kept diving when he saw the light.
lots of big ling as well, good skipper, a bit difficult at times though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed it.

"ill get some cotton wool for my ears coz this is all ill hear for months....time we got down the LA m8"

Nice one Brand! :1a: We'll be down there soon im sure.

·
Registered
867 Posts
That Sea looked a bit too rough for me, I'd love to give it a go, but it would be a waste of money, cause I'll be hanging over the side most of the day doh.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I enjoyed the day NOT God I was ill should have seen those swells you just couldn't stand up. It was torture honest we went 45 miles out and I felt ill half hour into the trip and we hadn't left Plymouth Sound
I did enjoy watching the others catch and they enjoyed watching me throw up all day
That fish Howard lost I promise you was a right beast
Gary the crew man was the best I have ever been out with - he filleted all the fish, cut the flappers one hell of an amazing guy. He was that good we had a collection for him on the way in. The skipper well not very sociable to say the least

1 - 13 of 13 Posts