World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've just relocated to Dalton in Furness and have been away from the Sea Fishing scene for quite a while. I'm in the process of setting up all my gear again and want to get back into regular fishing. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to fish and what tackle works and what doesn't.

At the moment I've only fished one spot which is the back of Morrisons in Barrow but up to now I've drawn a blank, not even a bite. I'm using a pully rig and have tried Lug, Lug tipped with mackerel and just mackerel but nothing. I have a car so driving to other spots isn't an issue, likewise as I'm recently retired from the army I've a lot of time on my hands so can fish virtually any time day or night.

Having read a few posts on here I've heard names of a few places like Red Wall etc but not really knowing the place I don't know where they are. If anyone would be willing to help out or even meet up to give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

Kenny

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi Kenny

Its a bit quiet on here at the moment, I don't fish up where you are so cant really help but it might be worth using the search box on the right top of the screen and typing, barrow, walney , sandy gap and such just to read through old reports to see what rigs and baits they were using, I'm sure some locals will give you a bit more info and send you in the right direction.

Simon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheer Guys, I've just got back and had a little bit more luck there tonight, no fish but at least got a few small bites so I must be doing something right...lol. I'll have a sit down tomorrow and trawl through some of the older threads as I only re-joined today so not had full access to the site.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greenodd, priory point and the channel all produce fish
Sorry for my ignorance but where is the channel? Are you on about the one towards Askam or towards Arnside? Like I say I'm still learning the names of places etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The channel is walney channel. It's the strip of water that runs between barrow in furness and walney island. The red wall you were talking about is part of walney channel, it's behind furness college in barrow itself. There's a decent sized car park close by.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for clarifying that mate. Again much appreciated. I think I'll wait for this rubbish weather to pass and then give the wall a try

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Kenny

Its a bit quiet on here at the moment, I don't fish up where you are so cant really help but it might be worth using the search box on the right top of the screen and typing, barrow, walney , sandy gap and such just to read through old reports to see what rigs and baits they were using, I'm sure some locals will give you a bit more info and send you in the right direction.

Simon
Hi Kenny Arnside and Sandside are well worth a visit,check the Tides4fishing website for Height,High and Low Tide etc,also tells you if its worth fishing on a particular day,hope this helps.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sandside is a good venue, you can fish right from the car. Turn off the a591 and take the road to milnthorpe, when you enter milnthorpe you'll get to a set of traffic lights. Turn right for arnside after a mile or so you are driving along the estuary and entering sandside. Just as you round a bend the road widens and you can park along the right hand side by the railings. Just fish anywhere along there. It's fishes best on bigger tides over 9 metres in my opinion. Anything below that and there's not much water around there. Autumn and winter is the best time the fish tend to be bigger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sandside is a good venue, you can fish right from the car. Turn off the a591 and take the road to milnthorpe, when you enter milnthorpe you'll get to a set of traffic lights. Turn right for arnside after a mile or so you are driving along the estuary and entering sandside. Just as you round a bend the road widens and you can park along the right hand side by the railings. Just fish anywhere along there. It's fishes best on bigger tides over 9 metres in my opinion. Anything below that and there's not much water around there. Autumn and winter is the best time the fish tend to be bigger.
Thank you very much, appreciated, going to take a drive out at the weekend and track all these places down and get them marked, with sandside does it mater about whether it's day or night?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Mate,

I took your advice yesterday and took a drive right round the coast, pushed as far as I could along Arnside, then onto Sandside and found the area you were talking about, then pushed right round the other side of the channel, up to Greenodd, Canal Foot and all the way along the coast road to Barrow. So now have at least a dozen spots in which to try out. As the weather was rubbish yesterday I didn't take any gear, but saw a couple of nutters trying to fish off the little pier in Arnside. They had chucked out then left their rods high against the railings and were sat in their car about 100 meters from the pier. I thought how the hell are you going to see a bite in that wind from there. Also thought if they hook something decent then their rods were going right over the side.

Trouble is, it's people like that who haven't a clue tend to be the lucky sods and lands a double figure fish.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Kenny, think your right about the weather at the moment, especially in the estuary marks you have been looking at. The amount of fresh water around would probably put a lot of the flounder off. Those two at arnside you were on about sound like a right bunch of prats. Like you say how would they know if they'd had a bite? not proper anglers by the sound of it. Sandy gap on walney is another mark to look at good for cod at this time of year and bass later on. Usual whiting and flatties most of the year as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a spot at the weekend just down from the Barrow to Walney Bridge, had a small cod out within a min of casting, ended up with 27 Cod, biggest was 1 1/2lb, mostly very small. I tried to fish it last night but the weather got worse whilst I was there and I had the daughter with my so ended up sacking it just before high water around 6pm. The daughter ended up beating me 3-0 again small cod but at least it's fished better than the back of Morrisons. As I fished there again the other night and blanked again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I found a spot at the weekend just down from the Barrow to Walney Bridge, had a small cod out within a min of casting, ended up with 27 Cod, biggest was 1 1/2lb, mostly very small. I tried to fish it last night but the weather got worse whilst I was there and I had the daughter with my so ended up sacking it just before high water around 6pm. The daughter ended up beating me 3-0 again small cod but at least it's fished better than the back of Morrisons. As I fished there again the other night and blanked again.
Head ya self further up north to wards st bees and Harington for ya bigger fish kenny plus realy nice area to fish but never go on your own if fish the big rocks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone fished Askham Pier? I took a drive round there the other day to see what it was like at low and high tide, but am thinking of going for a chuck in tomorrow there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to live in Askam (left 40 years ago mind) and to be honest the pier was always a bit hit and miss, you might get flounder and plaice off the end off lug worm and you used to be able to dig bait on the right hand side. Left hand side of the pier used to be plagued with eels. There were always plenty of flatties on the right hand side trouble was they were among the boats so you couldn't cast to them. As kids/youths we used to tread for flatties (walk around in your swimmers and stand on them with your bare feet) on the right hand side and sell them around the village for a bit of pocket money. To be honest most of our fishing was done at Roanhead, again for all kinds of flatties. Cod from the Channel, mullet off the Jetty at Roa Island and bass off Foulney Island, used to dig rag on the walk out to the end in the mussel beds on the right hand side. But like I said that was a long time ago

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The pier is massive now and has been extended right out into the estuary. Like you the last time I was there was also a long time ago and the layout has changed massively

1 - 19 of 19 Posts