World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about a Coleman Northstar - like the idea of electronic ignition etc. Any views / feedback (good or bad) from Northstar owners ? Also, are there better alternatives out there for the money or less money (as they aren't cheap)?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I did have a northstar. It coroded quite badly,quite quickly. despite looking after it.
I know just use a headlamp.
However was only saying how I miss a lamp in the winter months the other night.
Having since done a bit of reasearch Id say the petromax is the one to go for.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have a northstar and gave up after buying and breaking my third electronic ignition at £20 a go if i remember. I think its ironic because i'm still on my first mantle , so i haven't thrown it about. If you buy one make sure you don't get any petrol on the electronic ignition area block which is bakolite and immediately cracks. Some of my mates keep the ignition block in their pockets and light their's and then take it out again immediately after lighting. I now use a gas lighter [refillable] with an adjustable neck on it. I pump it up , open the generater valve and poke the gas lighter up inside and it lights perfectly. I got the gas lighters which are the built on the same idea as a *** lighter but much bigger at just under a foot long from the local pound shop.
The northstar itself is an excellent bit of kit and won't tip over as its got a nice wide rubber base. I haven't got one spec of rust on mine even though its five years old [ probably all the petrol i cleaned it with ]
I have only ever used unleaded in mine although some say you should vary it to clean it up,. can't say i've had any problems.
I'm a great believer in headlights however and consider them a must [don't know how i got on all those years ago with just a tilley] especially when adjusting rigs and casting and reeling in.
The northstar however, sets the mood , keeps your hands warm like nothing else and most important of all , you can stick a pukka pie in some tin foil and heat it up on top of the northstar on a winters night.
You can't do that with a headlight no matter how expensive it is.

:fish::fish::fishing::cold::cold:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I`ve had one for over 10 years, wicked lamp! I had to buy new ignition a few years back. It only gets an outing 10 or so times a year, but never fails even with the lack of maintenance it recieves, would highly reccomend.
Have a shop around, had a quick look, tackleuk.co.uk sell for £80, campervan accessories £75, you might get a better deal from a camping website rather than paying OTT from most tackle shops

·
Registered
628 Posts
hi mate i have owned one for a few years now and never replaced the ignition i have however replaced the mantle twice which is not bad considering the time i have had it also there is no rust on mine either i would recomend

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
iv had em in the past but now i just use a good head lamp , as for making a cupa and heating up food iv got a kellys kettle just the job , i brought a oblong shaped led its got 72somthing thingbob , use 4 aaa batterys fantasic as a base lamp can hang it on your rod stand or hook it on your beach buddy and its got magnets on the back of it very versatile only 9 quid from robert dysons

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
iv had em in the past but now i just use a good head lamp , as for making a cupa and heating up food iv got a kellys kettle just the job , i brought a oblong shaped led its got 72somthing thingbob , use 4 aaa batterys fantasic as a base lamp can hang it on your rod stand or hook it on your beach buddy and its got magnets on the back of it very versatile only 9 quid from robert dysons
I would never be without a decent headlamp ... i have a samalite at the moment ... the northstar is for heat etc .. never mind. Whats a kelly's kettle ?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I would never be without a decent headlamp ... i have a samalite at the moment ... the northstar is for heat etc .. never mind. Whats a kelly's kettle ?
google it up , its a double skined kettle u light a fire in the middle of it and you get boiling water in minutes , its a good bit of kit it brings out the boy scout in you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts