World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Went out in the boat at 6.30 this morning on a beautifull flat calm glassy sea. Motored 2 miles off and dropped a string of feathers over the side. Sure enough up came the mackerel within minutes. Didn't want them really, so went to the bottom rigged rod with one of the mackerel cut up for bait. Five minutes later 8lb pollack then, just as the sun was coming up, I caught a commotion on the water out of the corner of my eye very close to the boat. I turned round and S**T !!!!! a pair of dorsal fins 10 feet apart were cruising up to the boat!! I had switched the engine off and just didn't have time to start it up and motor out of the way, so all I could do was close my eyes and hope. It was like something out of Jaws -my heart rate went through the roof as I watched the shark just cruise under the boat - OK not directly under it but within, say, 15 yards - and it was VERY BIG. My judegement was that it was about half as long again as my 22 ft boat, so a good 30 footer I would say. I happened to have the camera with me and I took some shots of it while it cruised away. I just couldn't relax after that and was as jumpy as Hell, so I came in early to calm down.

Cheers, and tight lines...........

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
:) thre a lovelly site. be ur glad you had your camera :)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
i had one swim under my kayak in devon (slapton sands) and i tell you i was emotional to say the least. i could never wish for a better sight in all my life. i would love to see the pics mate :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've often come into contact with Basking sharks while doing deco stops after a dive. Having them circle around you certainly relieves the boredom. It's hard to believe that something so big can be so gentle and graceful. An experience not to be missed!

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ian,

I've tried to upload the pictures of this shark to the members' gallery but I get an error message. I've asked for help but haven't got a reply yet. As soon as I do I'll get a couple of pics of it up there. The shark was there agian this morning actually just cruising about hoovering up all th algae in the water. I know they are totally harmless creatures, but they are big and if you did collide with one of them, or vice versa, I've no doubt the boat would come off worst !!!

Cheers..............

·
Registered
23 Posts
Basking sharks are amazing. Awesome even, in the true sense of the word.

One year as a lad i was swimming outside Port Gaverne bay on the North Cornwall coast, just treading water, and suddenly felt myself being lifted upwards slightly. Just below my feet was a gigantic basking shark, went right underneath me. It ws just.... huge.

Although i knew what it was straight away, it really gave me a scare as i had no idea it was there. I have never swum so fast before or since.

Been in the water near them a few times since, and got some great pictures when i've been out in a boat, but never had one get as close since.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can anyone tell me how far east you might see Basking sharks? I'm heading to Dorset next week and wondered if any are seen around this part of the world.

Any info would be appreciated.
Blenny

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Peter B said:
Hi Ian,

I've tried to upload the pictures of this shark to the members' gallery but I get an error message. I've asked for help but haven't got a reply yet. As soon as I do I'll get a couple of pics of it up there. The shark was there agian this morning actually just cruising about hoovering up all th algae in the water. I know they are totally harmless creatures, but they are big and if you did collide with one of them, or vice versa, I've no doubt the boat would come off worst !!!

Cheers..............
Shame you can't get them photos up I'd really like to see 'em. I bet it was awesome seeing such a creature up close

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
When I was about 16 I had one pass directly under my boat, a 12 foot dinghy. I was fishing on the west coast of Scotland and saw this bow wave heading towards me. I thought it was a submarine. As it got within 10 foot the bow wave dissapeared and I saw it pass underneath me, about 10 foot the other side of me the bow wave started again.

5 years ago I was just starting the engine to come in from a good day, it was about dusk and was absolutely flat calm. There was a huge splash next to me and the sound of air brakes, about 1000 of them hissing at the same time and an awfull smell. An Orca had come up not 6 feet from the side of the boat. I absolutely bricked it, It was probably 3 times the size of the boat and it just lay there with this huge eye looking directly at me.

It sounds crazy but there was no malice in that eye and I calmed down after the initial shock. I threw it a pollock I had caught and it dived under. A few seconds later it came up under the pollack and threw it into the air and caught it. It turned and swam about 50 feet behind me and threw the fish to 2 other Orca, a big one and a baby. This was repeated till the fish box was totally empty. Each fish we threw in was caught and thrown into the air and then taken back to the other 2. A mate was with me and both of us forgot the camera and everything else. It was an absolutely magical time. We were so lucky to have them come to us.

I have never seen the orca since but regularly we have seal, dolfin, porpoise and pilot whales play with the boat, I have even been lucky enough to hand feed them sometimes. The fishing is forgotten when they are around, absolutely magic, time stands still.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Two weeks ago my Son went to Port Issac and saw 5 basking sharks off the cliffs, these were not too big, but as they walked on they saw another 'v big' one going across to the harbour. He went down to the harbour as it looked like it was headed in that direction but didnt see any of them again.
Several people were watching them so it was confirmed what they were,
All I can say is that I wish I had been there, but they are about...

·
Registered
7 Posts
i know this is a little off the mark, but i was told by somebody that they had seen an artical about a big mako shark hanging around the cornish coast,and as off yet can not be removed to deeper water,any one heard about this,

its a little worring if your a holiday maker especially to the misses and little one LOL.
just wondering!

·
Registered
7 Posts
kernowlobster said:
I saw a very large Porbeagle Shark when I was surfing at Chapel Porth (nr St Agnes) about a month ago.
i suppose climate change will fetch these fish inland,depending on which way it goes and which sharks it effects,
rather you than me though mate,i know were not on the menu as such but,their is always the first.
again remember reading a book about back in the day when porbeagles could be cuaght from the cornish shores,and this one inparticular was at least 300lbs probally a lot more if i could emember the excact wieght but it was big judging by the black and white picture.

would have its adavantages - big game without having to go miles to sea, quite exciting LOL.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The north coast of cornwall has always been good for big sharks. I think the british record for a marko shark was caught somewhere around St. agnes and the thrasher too.... so be careful kernowlobster you might be the right shape of surfer that mimics a seal and ends up as a snack!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
JACE-in reply to your query about a Mako shark being sighted off Cornwall.

I believe it was seen by a group of surfers on Gwithian beach,near Hayle.I know they were worried,as apparently the sea was evacuated until it was checked out by the surfing instructors!
Nothing was found!

However we do get sharks caught and seen quite close in!!

Mako sharks were once caught fairly regularly about 30+ years ago,however they are not seen so much now.The British record is 500lb and was caught off the Eddystone in 1971.

Porbeagle sharks are still caught in numbers quite close in to the cliffs off the North Cornwall coast,mainly between Hartland Point and Padstow.This area once held the record with a fish of 465lb caught a mile off Crackington Haven.The record is now held by a fish of 507lb caught in the Pentland Firth.However a fish of 484lb was caught off Boscastle as recently as April 2002.

Thresher sharks are not seen so much around here,however a fish of 520lb was caught by a trawler 2 miles off Looe in November 2002 and there have been a couple of smaller ones caught as well.The rod caught record is 323lb caught off the Isle of Wight in 1982.

Blue sharks are still caught off the south coast but you do need to go several miles offshore to catch them and they're not caught in the numbers they once were.The record of 218lb was caught off Looe way back in 1959.

and finally there was a report of a Great White shark sighted off Padstow in 1999.there has been a lot of debate over this sighting, but at the end of the day only the shark knows for sure!!!!.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts