World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could you readers tell me what you all think the best bass bait is and what baits caught the biggest fish so i can work out what the best bait provided by all members thanks :eek:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes, it depends in the time of year and area your fishing..

In the Bristol channel at the moment peeler crap will be favourite as they will be peeling soon, though we did have a few around the end of Feb and early March taking big rag/squid baits.

I read a catch report last week that good bass were taking lots of peeler crab, 5 whole crab on a pennel rig.. thats ok if you can find some yourself or have a lot of money to buy them from a tackle shop.

Or you could get them frozen and a bit cheaper from www.baitsdirect.com

Tight lines

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
The best bait i find for bass fishing were i am is usally live sanadell on the bootom and on flout a houl live peller crab or catch some small pouting and put them on flout alive.

the best bait for bass is live sandell but for the big ones a houl pouting on a flout will work at first light in the morning. :D

V

·
0 Posts
if you have pout in your area(where you fish on the day)fish one freelined or on leger much the same as you would for pike,s**t hot around portsmouth,slipper will catch the table size bass with the once in a blue moon variety every now and never! :D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Steve,

The best bait where i normally fish for bass is good old rag. Saw a nice 5lb bass caught at easter.

Woodster

·
Registered
343 Posts
in the surf, sandeel .. into rocks got to be peeler on running ledger with minimal weight to cast and hold down. if you can't find/borrow/steal peeler then rockpool gobies come a close second ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Depends on what bait is availible in large quantities at the time of fishing.

At the moment i'm finding peeler crab to be fishing well, after a storm slipper limpets, in the hight of summer when the mackeral are about a fillet or a whole joey, late autum, pouting and small pollock, and in winter when everyone is fishing squid baits for cod, they seem to be caught on them. or if im fishing in the harbours i find that a nice big fat ragworm does the job

·
Registered
1 Posts
it has to be live prawns. caught the night before you go ( drop net ) fish in the surf @ low (not to low) tide at about 8:00-9:00 am works very well for me (lots of bass) good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK from shore on the bottom for big fish i would use mack head or whole squid. For smaller fish i would use peeler, worm or razor

from shore floating for big fish i would use live pout,sand eel. For smaller fish i would use live prawn

This is not to say you cant catch large fish on all the above bait but this is what i have found

my best all round bass bait has got to be live prawn nice big uns the length of your index finger

but live pout is very good for larger fish :rolleyes:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good old Lugworm has shone for me over the years. Not big fish but caught more on Lug than anything else. For the biggies you can't beat a whole fish, whether it's Mack, Pout, Pollack, Cuttle... My mate had a 14lber last year on a whole Mack intended for Conger! He was most gutted.....;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I go fishing for bass all over the place, the best baits to use are peeler crab, ragworm, lugworm and sand eel. These baits will not just attract bass, you can also catch pollock, wrasse, mullet and plaice using the same bait. I was fishing off Caernarfon pier in North Wales one year, there was a lad there who was using sand eel and he caught 5 bass and a pollock, he was the only one who caught anything that day.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
could you readers tell me what you all think the best bass bait is and what baits caught the biggest fish so i can work out what the best bait provided by all members thanks :eek:
im hoping you have found out what the best bass bait is by now, having had 6 years to try a couple out:whistling,. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts