World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another late night fishing session to no avail, we fish most weekends and try different marks in Pembrokeshire & Carmarthenshire.
It fustrates the **** out of me as I'm sure I'm using anti-bass catching rig !!!!!!!
At times there are 6 of us fishing and still we dont catch, maybe the odd
schoolies.
I've been spoiled recently, gone out in my mates boat.
So is it time get a boat or stay on dry land ??
I think the cost of beach out weighs the boat, but now I've been spoiled.
Then you hear of bass Been caught here & there. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh !!
The joy of fishing, bring on the flattie comps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are plenty of bass around you, it's just a case of right place, right bait, right time. The month of July always seems to slow right down in terms of numbers and size of bass caught, and I've found the beginning of this month to be equally as slow, but it will pick up all the way through to November.

If you really want to catch bass, go out at dawn and dusk, to the same marks, at various states of the tides, armed with some fresh peeler or softies, and have patience. I would always suggest to hold your rod. I don't think this increases your chance of hooking up massively, but it does increase your bite detection and sometimes, when the fishing is slow, all it takes is one big knock to give you hope and the confidence that what you are doing is correct.

Do all this, and you will certainly start to pick up fish. It is simply a matter of time.

Tight lines.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Hiya mate .. don't give up.
Good advice in the post above......

My advice would be ......as above fish dusk into darkness, early hours...plus.............

Storm beaches (e.g. Llangenith, Pendine, Newgale, whitesand, Poppit, Newport etc) fish mobile with just small shoulder bag for a few spare rigs and bait, no rod rest so you hold and feel for bites. Fish low tide : last hour of ebb and first couple of flood.fish as light as possible and don't cast too far...and use fresh lugworm or frozen blacks !?!?
Rocky marks (Gower marks, Marleos, and various coves and inlets further west to St Davids....as above but with peeler crab for bait.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts