World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Bass/estuary/light beach rods

11K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  nickw 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m looking to buy a couple of bass/estuary type rods that will do estuary/tidal river work and could also be used at closer range for light beach fishing. I’ve been looking at the Leeda Icon bass sport and the Greys gr75s bass rods. Does anyone have any experience with these and could give me any reviews or advice please? I will be using 4000 size Penn pursuits if that makes any difference. Many thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Oh really? That’s interesting as they were my original choice as I’ve ordered 2 6 and baits yesterday and nearly went for the estuaries as well, I was just worried they might be a bit too light if I wanted to take them along to the beach sometimes or for quite strong tidal rivers? If they will handle that then they would probably be my first choice to be honest. I’m literally just starting over again after being away from the hobby for many years, with so much choice now I’ve found it all a bit confusing tbh.

#5 ·
They will actually cast more than the stated rating easy. I've smacked out 4oz grip leads and bait at chesil without any fear. As well as bait fishing, I've used them feathering for mackerel, and float fishing as well. After my proper beach coasters, they are the next rod that go into the holdall.

#12 ·
I was very close to buying the greys, they look like nice rods, I was a bit worried the estuaries may be too light to cope with tidal rivers or the beach but lots of people have recommended them and said they punch above their weight, looking forward to getting out next week and trying them out.

#14 ·
One of favourite style of fishing is with light beach rods and the leeda icon bass sport was one my favourites and i can't praise it enough.!
It casts so well yet so sensitive! Its so slim n light.! well balanced and pendulum casts beautifully with baits in tact. There are quite a few users on this rod here just ask them how good this understated rod is ! Best part it doesn't cost much.

#15 ·
Maybe rethink your choice of reel size to go with the rod 5000-6000 sized spinning reels suit the rod size better than a 4000size, I use an okuma raw11 55 and a daiwa bg5000 on my Bass rods and the size is perfect 4000 sized reels feel small and unbalanced and are more suitable for heavyish lure rods with a maximum casting weight in the 45-80g range imho.

The afaw is a good rod but as said a heavier rating than on the rod so more reason not to undergun it with too small a reel, Daiwa or Penn 5000 size would be my choice of matching reel on the 11ft.

#16 ·
Thank you for the advice, funnily enough I’d ordered two Penn pursuit 3 4000s but after doing more research I rang them back and asked to change to the 5000, they had already been filled with line and packed ready to go but they agreed to change them for me although I had to pay an extra 14.99. I’m glad I did now, think the 4000s would’ve been too light as you say. Haven’t fished properly in about 18 years but hopefully all my new gear will be here tomorrow or the next day so I can get out and have a go, looking forward to it .

#17 ·
Maybe rethink your choice of reel size to go with the rod 5000-6000 sized spinning reels suit the rod size better than a 4000size, I use an okuma raw11 55 and a daiwa bg5000 on my Bass rods and the size is perfect 4000 sized reels feel small and unbalanced and are more suitable for heavyish lure rods with a maximum casting weight in the 45-80g range imho.

The afaw is a good rod but as said a heavier rating than on the rod so more reason not to undergun it with too small a reel, Daiwa or Penn 5000 size would be my choice of matching reel on the 11ft.
I use a 11.6ft Penn Rampage 2 bass/ estuary type rod with a 6500 size multi, such fun when not big rodding in the Bristol Channel. Whichever you buy, you will love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.