World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Title is a little misleading. C & R fishing is fine, you're just not allowed to keep them. So if you are headed over still bring a rod but don't expect the hotel chef to cook your catch for you :wink:

Reactions: 36381

· Read Only
14,622 Posts
Been told, no idea if its true, that a local RSA who was very very vocal bass should be a C&R only sportfish, very quick to lecuture others for retaining even a schoolie, and was on some committee representing C&R only for bass along with commercial fishermen, was photoed on a beach after spearing a few brace of bass.
Is this factual dont know but, so they say, this lost any traction RSAs had at these meetings and any moral high ground.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Hi Matt, we all know who you are talking about, not the most diplomatic of people. Truth is, is that the commercial guys always shout the loudest and have the most influence, and they wanted the bass fishery to be commercial only. In the end it was them that won the argument as our pathetic minister has relented and will be handing out licences for a hook only fishery of up to 250 kg month per boat (up to 12 licences in total). At least the nets will be banned or made unviable, but longlines can certainly catch their share of fish. Personally I have no problem with spearos, being one myself, though I never shoot bass as would rather fish for them. As a hobby, I think it is the best way of taking a fish for the table. But I do know where you are coming from with your point above. Unfortunately there are a lot of double standards in fishing, I tend to just do my own thing and abide by my own moral code.

· Read Only
14,622 Posts
Hi seymour thats for that, wasn spearos as such, didn name names as i wasn there or know for a fact.
Was about the hypocrasy of it all that struck me sounds like thats what the minister went for in the end. Have always fancied spearing a few plaice myself.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I think the individual concerned is of a competitive nature and just can't help himself. So if he joins a spearfishing society he might feel compelled to prove his prowess. Not sure if the rumours are true and tbh I don't really care. Probably not the best guy to represent anglers, but to be fair he gave it a go and I would not liked to have been in his shoes..

Reactions: 36381

· Registered
15,476 Posts
Been told, no idea if its true, that a local RSA who was very very vocal bass should be a C&R only sportfish, very quick to lecuture others for retaining even a schoolie, and was on some committee representing C&R only for bass along with commercial fishermen, was photoed on a beach after spearing a few brace of bass.
Is this factual dont know but, so they say, this lost any traction RSAs had at these meetings and any moral high ground.
Buddy, that is only a rumour, until confirmed by a thesis coming out on the subject, with first six chapters split 50/50 between pulling the trigger and aiming the thing in a proper manner.
There will be an exciting in depth analysis of the lb's per sq. inch required to pulled the trigger, and the complicated procedure you will need to install a hair trigger.
Spearing fish in a barrel isn't plain sailing, you know!
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.