World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>What time of year do bass become a sensible target for shore fishing along the south wales coast? Is it too early to start already?

What baits and hook sizes should I stick to whren bass fishing?

Thanks

AJB</font>

D

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>got a friend in wales he reckons schoolys will be about now and the bigger fish come around sep-nov period</font>

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Andy ,I agree with the last comment , I generally find the schollies are plentyful off the beach area&#39;s ,but later on the year the heavier fish off the rocks in various locations</font>

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Andy I forgot to add , crab of the rocks and large rag worm in the surf on spring tides works for me . Not sure if I&#39;m allowed to say this but Dragon Baits in port talbot have huge rag ,and for £5 you can easily have two outings on it, beware they bite more than the fish somtimes Ha Ha</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Depends if you like the cold really. I&#39;d say you can get them year round but the 4 lb+ fish aren&#39;t around in any numbers during the colder months coz they&#39;re busy having a mass orgy off North Devon. Still, local folklore tells of big fish turning up right through the year, so there&#39;s always a chance.</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Sorry. Forgot to add, if you want some good ideas about bass fishing try and get hold of a copy of Shore Fishing by Clive Gammon. It&#39;s excellent and also gives you an idea of how good bass fishing around Wales used to be, and therefore how good it could be in the future.

Cheers,
Rhod:)</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000000'>thanks guys,

so the general advice is that school bass are a target right now?

I may have a go next week. I think I should try "moderate" sized baits. That is larger than the small rag I have been using for flounder, but smaller than whole squid which I will try later in the summer.

I have heard of good bass (5lbs +) cropping up at unusual places and times. This makes me wonder if they are infact far more widespread than generally accepted and only lack of targeting gives a false impression of their distribution. &nbsp;

Any thoughts

AJB</font>

D

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i live in the north east were every body targets cod but the od big bass is often caught all year round i agree with you if someone was to target them i`ll bet we would find that bass a far more wide spread than we think there were some caught off blyth pier this month when cod were the targets there are quit a few beaches up here that i have never been fished people seem to fish the same few marks and only target cod so i`m going to change all that i`ll be the man on his own fishing for bass on the beaches were no one else fishes</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>The idea that bass in wales are seasonal is utter tripe, I live in Pembrokeshire and throughout the year I have caught some decent bass, over the christmas period at neyland marina I had many a schoolie and also a 3lb bass when it was bitterly cold, I think the actual temperature was about -1. If you are looking for bass this time of year in significant numbers and size try either newgale (northen side, closest to caravan park) or try Llansteffan in camarthenshire you wont be disappointed. Tight lines.</font>

C

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">do any of you fish for bass with lures or bait only? [/b][/quote]

Hope to do this year in mainly North Wales using a single rod for spin and bait fishing with a casting weight of 1-3oz. I&#39;ll also be trying the fly when I sort a rod out. lots of articles on bass on this site and some suggested venues. Check out the tackle reveiws for ideas on lure types.

Regards,
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Keith.</font>

·
Registered
705 Posts
Good grief this is an old thread!

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>The idea that bass in wales are seasonal is utter tripe, I live in Pembrokeshire and throughout the year I have caught some decent bass, over the christmas period at neyland marina I had many a schoolie and also a 3lb bass when it was bitterly cold, I think the actual temperature was about -1. If you are looking for bass this time of year in significant numbers and size try either newgale (northen side, closest to caravan park) or try Llansteffan in camarthenshire you wont be disappointed. Tight lines.</font>
What about the beaches along the south pembs coast? Freshwater East looked like it had potential for bass?
I'm a regular visitor to that area and looking for somewhere to try my luck :fishing:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
What about the beaches along the south pembs coast? Freshwater East looked like it had potential for bass?
I'm a regular visitor to that area and looking for somewhere to try my luck :fishing:
It was probably fishing its socks off in 2004 mate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts