World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My quest this year is to catch a decent bass.I've been trying different methods :spinning,plugs,ledgering off some rough ground where I,m sure there should be fish. I want to try float fishing but can;t find reference on this site. Are bass more aware of a normal cigar float and should I consider bubble floats??

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Musket. In my experience, bass dont seem to be very float shy. Usually they take a bait presented this way hard. If your after a bigger bass of the rocks, try float fishing a live pout, blenny etc. They will also take float fished peeler (although this must look very unnatural). Prawn will catch a lot of fish, though these tend to be smaller. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you are worried about the floats I always use course fishing pike floats.
You can get these clear with just a coulored top. I think these offer less resistance to the bass as well (If it makes any diffrence).

Good luck!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was born and brought up in Gower more years ago than I care to remember. The locals used a float fishing method to catch bass over rough ground.

We used a cork float similar to a pike float. This had a slot cut into it from the side to the centre hole meaning you could attach or remove it without having to break down your trace. The line was secured by a wooden pin which trapped the line in the centre hole. The downside was that the line could sometimes work itself free of the pin and the float would be lost.

Anyway these were usually set at 2 to 3 feet deep and suspended underneath was a whole jelly soft red edible crab about 3 inches across. There were no restrictions on taking edibles then. You then took a large treble hook and pushed the eye up through the crab so it protuded out through the back of the crab.

The 'trace' under the float was simply the end of the main line with a large loop tied. The baited treble was then attached to the loop and that was it. We usually didn't use any extra weight as we were casting short distances into gullies as the tide flooded.

It didn't seem to matter that a crab floating in mid water was somewhat unnatural because it worked.

Clice Gammon was a keen user of this method and I remember reading one of his articles in Sea Angler a few years ago where he fished with locals in Sussex who laughed at his methods when they were all ledgering but guess who got the best fish?

Clive always used a wooden centre pin reel but fixed spools or light multipliers are both fine.

It was one of those rather crude but effective methods which I still use. Those floats are not easy to get now but have a look at Mike Thrussell's article on Power Balling where he describes using a child's ball as a float for both spinning and suspending crab.

Tackle losses are obviously much lower than ledgering on the bottom but the idea is to set the depth so that the crab is only just above the bottom and you can fish the roughest areas which, as we all know, are usually the best. Also you can, of course, cover a much larger area of ground using a float.

The only doubts I had was that the points and barbs of the treble were embedded in the crab so it relied on the bass engulfing the crab whole. I tend to use a 5/0 single Viking hook now which the hook point well exposed.

The same sort of crab on a treble was also used for bottom fishing. This time the hook was attached to a second large loop tied a couple of feet above the bottom one and the weight was a stone with a hole in it which are still freely available on the causeway to Worms Head where this method accounted for large numbers of big bass but I am going back to the late 60s and early 70s. God I'm old!!

Give it a try. It's a very pleasant way of fishing and, as a bonus, you'll also catch good wrasse if your fishing in daylight.

Good luck,

Owen

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Owen,
Thanks very much for your excellent reply, more like an article in it's own right.
I remember Clive Gammon and can picture one of my first books on sea fishing written by him. I believe the cover was a picture of a bloke gaffing a shark.
What you say makes sense, I'll give it a go and let you know how I fare.
Incidentally I read Mikes' article on powerball fishing and purchased something similar called a ballrag.
Thanks again,
Jon.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Owen? it wouldn't be the Owen that used to own the tackle shop in Mumbles would it? The firm believer of the Yorkshire Coble, & the believer in a gigantic whole squid as the only cod bait (2 bites a year both over 30lb)?
If so Tommy Lane asks to be remembered to you, (it was the "stones with holes in" that jogged the memory) I still look for them when I am crabbing.
I also remember Clive Gammon, a latter day Dylan Thomas, someone else the americans loved!
blueskip

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have used both bubble & cigar floats find it does not matter,best bass on float was a cigar type 5.3 on a size 1 going for gars

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Used to do a lot of this on the shallow reefs between Borth and Aberystwyth and am hoping to try again this year, if the weather improves. I used to set the float to fish at 3ft in shallow gullies and using a longish shank hook first tie half a crab to the upper shank for the scent and then tip it off with a live prawn on the point for the movement. Takes on this cocktail were always positive resulting in very few missed bites and fish to 6lb were not uncommon.

That however was in the 1980s and nowadays as with most marks round here it seems difficult to find any decent-sized bass. I tried a couple of years back and only had a schoolie and doggies. However, will try again if the winds die down as it's a fun way to fish!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
194 Posts
blueskip said:
Owen? it wouldn't be the Owen that used to own the tackle shop in Mumbles would it? The firm believer of the Yorkshire Coble, & the believer in a gigantic whole squid as the only cod bait (2 bites a year both over 30lb)?
If so Tommy Lane asks to be remembered to you, (it was the "stones with holes in" that jogged the memory) I still look for them when I am crabbing.
I also remember Clive Gammon, a latter day Dylan Thomas, someone else the americans loved!
blueskip
Sorry but no. I was born in Horton and lived in Penmaen overlooking Three Cliffs bay and even went to school close to Mumbles but a tackle shop? Alas not!!

Owen

·
Registered
11 Posts
My quest this year is to catch a decent bass.I've been trying different methods :spinning,plugs,ledgering off some rough ground where I,m sure there should be fish. I want to try float fishing but can;t find reference on this site. Are bass more aware of a normal cigar float and should I consider bubble floats??
one word brother other baite

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
When fishing Bass gullies in the summer,sometimes the Slugs(rockling not garden type LOL),prawns,crabs etc strip a bottom fished crab bait very quickly...so floatfishing for Bass can be worthwhile. Can work over high tide in some areas too where you can cast over the gullies at high,while crab is good,a side of Mackeral will catch sometimes even when the Bass are looking for the crab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts