World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! I have a question for dedicated bass anglers.. lately I have got more involved in fishing for bass and I can't get enough now..

Do you guys make your rigs up using flourocarbon? (Pulley rig, up and over etc). Do you ever use flurocarbon at all? I have been thinking if inshould covert to flourocarbon all the way from shock leader and rig body and hooklink as well

Please let me know if its wise to do so?

·
Premium Member
8,231 Posts
I always use clear mono line for Bass fishing, mainly the hooks lengths but there is no reason to do everything the rig maybe and if it gives you more confidence in catching, I would forget the shock leader, but if you feel it does spooked them, then why not. So i don't see why you should not use fluorocarbon, it's meant to be more invisible to the fish and sinks well, try it and see the difference in results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I converted to flourocarbon a couple of years ago, after seeing it used to good effect in Norway. Not only for sea fishing, but freshwater & fly applications too.
Got to be honest, my catch rate of generally pathetically low hasn't suddenly shot up since changing.
The times I honestly think it does make a dfference is when fishing in gin clear water.
Most of the time, here in North Devon, the water has a bit of colour to it, but on those rare occasions that it is running clear, I'm certain it helps to use flouro.
When the bass seem a bit spooky, a flouro leader always helps, & I seem to catch when others blank.
That applies to normal bait fishing & lure use.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
14,406 Posts
I don't lure fish, but have never used fluoro. Have caught plenty of bass on estuary, open coast and surf beaches bait fishing, usually with Amnesia as the snood line.
Albeit many, but not all, would be after dark.
Tbh I don't find bass the most discerning fish about - right place and right conditions seems to be the crucial factors in my experience.
I always use clear lines, however, but I do for everything

·
Registered
171 Posts
flourocarbon may get you more fish because of fewer tangles, it may lose you fish if you buy cheap stuff or knot it poorly. As Mr Fish said, bass are not discerning fish but voracious predators.

A fish that is afraid of thin strands of green stuff isn't going to do well in the ocean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts