World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the great early summer we had and the reasonable fishing we’ve had this year, my fiancée was finally starting to catch on I was spending more time on the water than I was with her! Damn!

More to her disgust was that I wasn’t bringing her home any sea bass fillets (her favourite). So when I asked if I could go out on Sunday with the northerly wind dropping away to almost nothing, I was met with a look that could scare the bravest of men.

There was only 1 thing I could do, I gave her the puppy dog eyes and mumbled the words “but the bass ban has been lifted”

Without a second thought she was preparing my lunch and helping me with the gear and I was off in search for her dinner! RESULT!

I headed to a wreck 3 miles offshore that I was hoping would hold a few bass, first drift across I could see the fish all over the wreck on the fish finder and before long I was into bass after bass. All around the 40 cm so just too small for dinner! DAMN! Good sport all the same

After a dozen or so schoolies around this size it was time to step things up to a live mackerel, first drop down, bouncing it up the side of the wreck and Tap Tap Tap... I allowed a few seconds for the fish to swallow the joey and then lifted into the weight. After a short fight another 40cm bass with a joey at least 2/3 of its length hanging out of its mouth surfaced. It amazes me what these fish will try to eat.

Dropped down again on the next drift, this time with a three quarter to a pound mackerel on. As I was coming to the top of the wreck I could feel the mackerel trying to swim away from something very quickly (beauty of braid) then WHACK! Followed by another WHACK. I could feel from the weight it was a better fish. 4 or 5 times it dived for the wreck but I managed to drag it to the surface. A beautiful fish of just shy of 6lb.

Dinner sorted!

I had a few more drifts and managed a few smaller bass again which all went back.
Then had a few easy hours drifting for some plaice as the sun went down. Beautiful day :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
my fiancée was finally starting to catch on I was spending more time on the water than I was with her! Damn! :thumbsup:
Try to work on it mate. My wife loves fishing even more than me. On every fishing trip - beach or boat - we go togeher. Day or night - together. Winter or Summer - together. Need some tips? Give me a shout, haha :D The bass is amazing. Wel done dude :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts