World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I&#39;ve been shore fishing in north wales for 12 months and have visited various places and have yet to catch a bass. I&#39;ve tried all baits and all lures and yet to no avail.  please can anybody give me any advice before I sell up and take up golf&#33;   p.s. I&#39;m going to blackrock sands near port-madoc in two weeks time for a weeks holiday.  so if anybody has any advice I would be extremely thankful. thanks</font>

·
Registered
44 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i have found mackera daylites quite succesful on the north west coast and i took 1 on ragworm in the tyne river a munth o 2 ago &nbsp;

Glen</font>

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
<font color='#000000'>first i would make sure were you are fishing holds bass...
then pick the right conditions, lots of surface disturbance (rolling waves, whitewater,tide races,) is what i find best for bass but heavy swells seem to put them off abit &nbsp;get as much local info as possible

peeler has to be the alltime best bass bait</font>

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
<font color='#000000'>My advice is to try live sandeel as you cannot beat it. Where I live in Pembrokeshire king rag is one of the top baits for bass both within the estuary and on the open atlantic beaches. As macky said bass prefer a bit of chop in the water. However I have caught many a bass in cold still waters in the middle of winter. It all depends on local conditions. The best way of finding the fish is through gaining knowledge from more experienced locals or trial and error most of which I know I have learnt myself over the years through trial and error and of course through reading books and magazines. Any how mate good luck and persevere as you will win in the end.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Location is a good point. Try early morning close in to the shore, turbulance in the water created by poppers etc induce a feeding frenzy, breaking surface water indicates other bass feeding to other bass apparentley. I can vouch for Rapala jointed lures which vibrate underwater, they work too.</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Black Rock Sands, Porthmadoc is good for Bass, unfortunately during the summer months Black Rock sands is spoilt by the Jet Skies and Speed boats, so you need to fish either very early or late in the day.

The estuary channel during low water produces good bass.

Alternatively fish along the estuary between Samsons bay and Borthy Gest, or try the Criccieth side of Black Rock epsecially the Criccieth end.

Best bait has to be crab, found locally (getting scarce though) or lug worms from Samsons bay.

A South Westerly is best.

Good Luck</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000000'>thanks everybody for replying to my bass sos call.  The advice I&#39;ve recieved is excellent, my only thougth now is I should of done this ages ago.  With such advice and knowlegde I&#39;m sure to beat my three kids into catching a bass&#33;........................maybe&#33;</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>I agree, in some parts of the country LUCK is by far the most required element for success...

I still have recurring nightmares about being less than 5 yards away from some lucky so and so who happened to pull in a very nice bass on his first ever plugging trip. Grrrrrrr.  He then had the cheek to ask me to photograph it because he had left his camera somewhere.  

As Macky1 says, most important thing is to be sure you are fishing areas that actually hold bass.  Dawn and dusk by far best times.  An excellent site to have a look at is :
Mike Ladel - Operation Sea Angler</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts