World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The commercial bass-catchers around here always use live sandeel when drifting the banks and wrecks, and friends and I have had some cracking days when we have been using them. But I know other anglers have been consistently using 4" shads over the same ground and they get good catches too. Which is actually better - do we go for sandeel just because we think that is the ultimate bait, or should we perfect the shad method and catch just as well. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Not so simple here, Peeler outfishes everything here when the crab are peeling, April - May. Then live eel, August when the water is full of Whitebait a small artificial does the business but it has to mimic an injured whitebait both in colouration and action. September a sea trout fry shape colour/action lure scores, then they go on to joeys to fill up for the lean times in winter. Live Joey or big launce scores over artificials at that point in the year. IMHO and experience

The only time I use an artificial is whitebait time, you can't use them live, well you can but it ain't worth the bother, Dexter make a superb lure for that time of year

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The "bass boys" from Weymouth would sooner fish with live eel any day. Saying that, they wouldn't waste good live eel if the fish weren't interested. Mind you, they know how to fish live eel properly, that's why they're in business

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
The "bass boys" from Weymouth would sooner fish with live eel any day. Saying that, they wouldn't waste good live eel if the fish weren't interested. Mind you, they know how to fish live eel properly, that's why they're in business
The lads here prefer live eel too,also use it for pollacking.They will use redgills if short on eels,also use redgills to indicate any bass around when out splashing.

G

·
Live eels followed by live joey for Bass.

For Pollack it doesn't make too much difference and you'll still get Bass on the lures, but not so guaranteed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Live eel with us out off the Gower and down out of Milford Haven. Cant honestly say I have experimented much with shads despite having a box full of them - just dont know the technique -
Live joey is excellent aswell. To be honest dont find the bigger launce as effective - this might just be a coincidence though.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
same here off the east coast...we have tried shads etc on many occasions while others on the boat are using live eel...the latter constantly outfishes any kind of lure

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Live eels here too, but then again we pretty much invented fishing with them. Lures will work if there's a very fast drift, or if there's lots of fish, but when fishing's hard you need eels, and when it's really hard you need the right size eels. Even in winter when the bass are feeding on pilchards/scad/smelts, eels are still better than 4" stormshads which are the spitting image of the natural diet.
I need to investigate seining pilchards/small scad/smelts - how well do pilchards & smelts stay alive in a baitwell? (I can keep everything else alive in mine - scad, macks, bass, turbot, bream, gurnard)

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
from the dover marks live sand eel win all day long.
the only thing with live i find is that if you get a hit but miss it, the most of the time the eel somes off, so you have to hook the fish first time.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to investigate seining pilchards/small scad/smelts - how well do pilchards & smelts stay alive in a baitwell? (I can keep everything else alive in mine - scad, macks, bass, turbot, bream, gurnard)
Smelts stay alive OK in my baitwell, they are netted in a drop net so probably not damaged in any way first. They are quite hardy, and stay alive on a hook for some time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
hey paul - very small hooked feathers. This will get you launce (greater sandeel) Say a size 6 hook. Plenty of different makes about (the name of them escape me at this time) but Owner do some good ones.
You can either get them jigging on the bottom over a sandbank or indeed on certain reefs. You will also catch mackerel on these feathers and they come into their own when feathering for mackerel is tough!
As far as normal sized sandeels go - correct me if I am mistaken guys but I believe you can only net them or buy them or on certain beaches you can use a vingler to flick them out of the wet sand!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The upper Bristol Channel fishes best with ragworm for bass as there doesnt tend to be much in the way of live sandeel here, Thats areas around the two severn bridges

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Live mackerel if you can get them and don't worry about them if they seem a bit on the big side! I gutted a bass t'other day and found a whole garfish inside it and one of about 3lbs with the soft bits of a big spider crab inside it. Don't be afraid to use hard backed crabs either as bass eat them as well, caught a 7 pounder stuffed full of hardbacks the other day.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
If theres a shoal down there it wont make much difference what you use as you will catch with pretty much anything.

If theres just a few fish around then you cannot beat fresh Sandeel or Joey Mackerel, altho some of the "new generation" lures such as the "Maxi-Flex" Sand-eel and "Sidewinder Eels" fish almost as well as livebait (in my own expierience) but it can work out an expensive trip if wrecking! Rob.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The tempest sandeel imitations look amazing - have a few packs myself. I still would have thought the vibrations given off by a live eel would be more beneficial - plus the scent.
But then again - I dont actually know how to work jellyworms and other imitations dont want to hijack this thread so will create a new one -

1 - 20 of 20 Posts