World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post this question in the plug fishing area as I know most bass anglers hang out in there. However I dont think the topic really belongs there so Ill post it here.

My question is, what is the best live bait for bass ? also can you give any advice on other baits to consider as sandeel and very small mackerel are just too difficult to lay your hands on around here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Most of the live baits other than sandeels is a bit more of an adventure.
Bibs are very popular around here in autumn, mackies are also very good hard to come by but have produced stonkers of bass!! Live peelers have a unsurpassed reputation.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Just about the best tip i have been given is to match your bait to what's there wth way i do it is tie a small hook size 4or up to a 2 circle hooks work well bait the small hook with maccie strip or a small piece of worm when you get the little knock live bait on pick up and hold the rod and wait for the bang when a bass takes it
hope this helps dai

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
try a live pout cause they most places and are killers for those silver bars

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
Bass will take literally any small fish including other Bass! but my fave has to be Pollack or Wrasse as there a lot tougher then Pout, and essayer to keep alive in a bucket when transporting.

Pout may catch a few more fish, but generally seem to take the smaller Bass, don't worry about your bait being to big either, Ive used Pollack over half a lb and still had smallish Bass take them.

A friend of mine fishing in the harbor recently caught a tiny schoolie which in turn was then taken a bigger Bass of around 2.5lb, when bringing it in, even had a take from a 8lb ish trying to take that Bass! the biggun nearly beached itself.

Years ago my mate James also had a small schoolie on a plug in the marina, which was then taken by another big Bass which snapped him up.

One thing about Wrasse though is that they are better fished on a sandy bottom as they have a habit of swimming straight into any weed or rocks for cover.

Dont use to big hooks though, a very small circle hook through the lips is perfect

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Pout is the livebait I use most, as they tend to be the easiest to come by. They stay alive better than Sandeel and Grasdos, but not as well as small Wrasse. I have taken Bass on floatfished live Pout fished 5-6ft deep in 20-30ft of water before, as well as on the bottom. I love watching a float though, so will always try and use one unless its impossible.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Floatfishing is the most common thing, use it under a Zeppler or other ones available and i use circlehooks. I prefer floatfishing at night, with a small breaklight mounted on the float. It's like hunting for Jaws....:laugh:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers John,

I do a bit of bassing from my kayak and this is how I will do the bait fishing. Obviosuly I dont want you to give away anything about your marks but should I just target the same areas for night fishing as I do for plugging bass in daylight. Any advice on depth etc would be appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't bother too much about the spots they are more or less the same as during the day. Bass roams around all the time they don't stick in the same place they come and go. Look for the places where they can obtain their meal quiet easily, where there is prey there will be bass lurking somewhere. You fish for bass you know the spots :fishing1:

And i forgot you're fishing from the kayak, boy then you're able to drop the bait right in their mouths. The kayak makes things more easy cause you are able to drift over the spots along with the bait!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts