World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another rainy day, perfect for contemplating buying new gear.
I've been using an old 11 ft Daiwa carp rod for sea bass lure fishing on a fast moving estuary. It's a heavy rod and kills my arm pretty fast, it's also wobbly as hell! difficult to keep in touch with the lures. So I'm wanting a new rod, something built for the job.. Looking for something pretty light, but not one of those very skinny ones, just don't feel right to me. I don't like those extra short handles either. A fast tippy action would be good, I enjoy a sporting fight but I don't want another one that wobbles all the way down to the cork. I'm casting lures from light jellies to 28gram metals, and occasionally catching 6-7+lb bass. I certainly can't spend more than £100, and really would like to spend a lot less if possible. I'm dead set on 10ft, going from 11 to 9 would feel way too short for me, and I need to reach over the rocks etc. A carp rod would be fine if it's light and has enough stiffness in the first section.
I'm probably asking a bit much, but I'd appreciate your thoughts to mull over as the rain continues to pour, filling my estuary with cold acidic water... Damn it!
Cheers
Ps, all posters will win a small piece of good fortune on their next trip out ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maximus Hi Energy 2.7m M. Less than £100 from VMO. Mine arrived 2 weeks ago and am well impressed. Read Henry's review.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi mate,

My first dedicated lure rod was a Berkley Skeletor series one II 10' casting 15-40 gram. think it cost me about £100 but that was years back so should be able to find it for much less now if you can find it at all. I thought it was a lovely rod and was still going strong until i broke a guide ring after years of use last year. I used it for surface lures, sub surface, bouncing SPs along the bottom for wrasse off Portland, throwing metals at the sea off chesil, even float fished for Gar from the pier and LRF'd rag worm for the small stuff with it, can't say it ever let me down. It got dunked and used and abused but hardly more than a few scuffs on it. I paired it with a Shimano Exage 4000.

Could be worth a look mate, failing that then I see Berkley have a newer line of lure rods out called the Air but I have no direct experience with them and they only go to 9' from what I can see.

Best of luck with your hunt. :BigGrin:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maximus Hi Energy 2.7m M. Less than £100 from VMO. Mine arrived 2 weeks ago and am well impressed. Read Henry's review.
Sorry mate- see you want a 10" rod. Have a look at the Hi Energy 3m 14-56g It's the model I bought.. Costs a tenner more though but you may be able to find some discount codes

·
Registered
362 Posts
The only long handle 10ft rod which I can think of in your price range is the Penn Rampage 11 Seatrout there is a 13-33 gr and a 19-49 gr if it is meant for Seatrout there's a good chance it would be ok for bass.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There's so many decent rods available these days for under £100. I also found it quite interesting using a 1-3oz llft 6 estuary bait rod for lure fishing,was a shimano estuary vengeance about £80 and can throw a 90g samson to france :), way lighter than a similar length pike rod/carp rod. I'm not sure if it is lighter but just balanced better and worked lures brilliantly. It maybe that a good step down could also be taking a look at trout spinning rods. Diawa wilderness spin is 10ft..but being a trout rod could be a bit floppy. Abu Garcia and Penn do a good range of longer rods at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
62,603 Posts
Why not give ChesilBait&Tackle a ring and see what they can get you for the budget?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have a look at what Cinnetic offers. Look at the rextail, raycast xbr, crafty and black purple series.

If I had 100 pounds to spend, that is what I would buy

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Well thanks for all your replies. I found most of them a bit hard to track down, so I've painfully chiselled away at my list, and the last man standing (so far) is the OKUMA Dead Ringer.. now if anybody can show just cause why this rod cannot be joined in matrimony with this angler, speak now, or forever hold your piece...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKUMA-Dead-Ringer-Fishing-Spinning-Rod-2-10m-3-03m-Various-Sizes/222689816945?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=521544814297&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
I have an Okuma Epixor 10' four-piece travel rod and love it. I think their gear is under-rated and an absolute bargain. That said, if you can stretch to a Nebula.... PH

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks Nick, I've had a look on their page, but there's nothing 10ft anywhere near my budget. Beginning to move towards this 10ft.. nice fast taper, and longer butt. 60-80gram is more than I need, but rather than that than have a stick of spaghetti wobbling all over the show. Could be a bit lighter at 328grams, but.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shakespe...hash=item3fde3d1d91:m:my3uFc9LIJ48VQ2ikqM0NNw
Have a look at this; the Salt 9'6" casts up to 60g. Is £80 here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts