World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody, do please sign this petition (if you agree with it). It is the easiest and most efficient way for us to make this government aware of the number of people that care about bass fishing (and sea fishing generally).
It gives us a real chance to make a difference (and improve our chances of catching some decent sized bass!)

: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BassMLS/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick update on the petition. It's now been posted on the No 10 website for just over eight days. In that time it's been signed by 850 people.

To put that in context, there are 6,910 petitions posted on that website at present. The bass petition has already overtaken almost 6,700 of those petitions and is currently standing at Number 227 in the charts.

Well done everyone who has already signed up!

Everybody else who agrees with it - sign up now!

By the way, Big Bass Man, it has nothing at all to do with the number of bass that can be kept. It is a petition asking the government to increase the minimum keeping size for bass so that the fish get at least one chance to reproduce before they are killed.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BassMLS/

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quick update on the petition. It's now been posted on the No 10 website for just over eight days. In that time it's been signed by 850 people.

To put that in context, there are 6,910 petitions posted on that website at present. The bass petition has already overtaken almost 6,700 of those petitions and is currently standing at Number 227 in the charts.

Well done everyone who has already signed up!

Everybody else who agrees with it - sign up now!

By the way, Big Bass Man, it has nothing at all to do with the number of bass that can be kept. It is a petition asking the government to increase the minimum keeping size for bass so that the fish get at least one chance to reproduce before they are killed.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BassMLS/
well dont fish 4 them?

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
well dont fish 4 them?
I'm inclined to agree with you BigBassman .
All having bigger size limits will do for the shore angler using rod and line if limits are applicable to them will be that if you stick to any regulation you are going to have far less bass to take home and eat than at present.

When it is commercially not viable for the boat fraternity of any EEC country to catch bass then they will make them selves redundant and move to another species.

The current rethink on fish stocks and commercial catching with nets may be a far better avenue to go down .

IE no by catch ..all fish to count and set quota per EEC member country with annually issued non transferable licensed boats for each country that will have to land at a permanently designated port .

This would lead to " wrong gear no license " which will help the moves to long lines as the boats will only be allowed light lifting gear rather than the massive 5 or more tonne lifting gear for big netters.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We have a duty to do all we can to preserve what remains of our marine ecosystem. We should look beyond our selfish short term preferences and think of what we are leaving behind for our children . We are simply borrowing what we have and it is not ours to do whatever we feel like doing with it. I am entitled to my opinion and I say catch and release. Forget the commercial fishermen, we can do little to change what they are doing but we can keep our own houses in order. SIMPLY MY OPINION.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We have a duty to do all we can to preserve what remains of our marine ecosystem. We should look beyond our selfish short term preferences and think of what we are leaving behind for our children . We are simply borrowing what we have and it is not ours to do whatever we feel like doing with it. I am entitled to my opinion and I say catch and release. Forget the commercial fishermen, we can do little to change what they are doing but we can keep our own houses in order. SIMPLY MY OPINION.
wot u on about go back 2 bed

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
so bob if you r into catch and release why have a go at me the other week when i said warren should have put that ray back 3 words come to mind pot,kettle,black

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey D I do practice catch and release I was simply defending someones right to choose whether to keep fish or not. In any case I wasn`t bothered that you had a go about keeping the fish I was more miffed that you thought we were out there because you gave us the mark! We`d fished it many times by then. In fact I tried it for cod during Jan but with no luck! No hard feelings intended mate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi Johnb. I totally dont agree with the proposal of 45cm, but would agree to put it up to 38.5cm as the spawning seasons coming thru are the best for years. As you know the English size limit has been 36cm for years with Welsh being on 37.5cm. I personally think the way forward on this increase in bass size is to increase it by 1cm per yr with the maximum of 40cm, which is totally adequate for the spawning cycle. What we must remember, there is small inshore fishing boats that rely on bass as a living. Therefore 45cm would not be adequate for their business and there would be lots of small time fishermen out of business. I would just like to add the spawning of bass takes place outside the 12 mile limit, where it stands at 36cm. cheers Redgill000

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
well if you cant make a living doing it do something else

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
so bob if you r into catch and release why have a go at me the other week when i said warren should have put that ray back 3 words come to mind pot,kettle,black
:g: people who offer partnerships ti catch and sell bass should not use the words,kettle,pot or black:g: .more info?:secret:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
:g: people who offer partnerships ti catch and sell bass should not use the words,kettle,pot or black:g: .more info?:secret:
wot r you on about i dont sell bass dont catch enuff for that

1 - 20 of 35 Posts