World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Hi all,

Decided to do something positive so please sign this petition at Number 10 Downing Street (as long as you agree with it of course)

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BassMLS/

PS Mods please sticky this
Right here's my slant on Bass, they're predators, even from an early age,

Myself and a few anglers have been discussing the demise of other shore caught species, and the increase in catches of school bass, sometimes where bass have never been caught before, and in our opinions can only put it down to the emphasis on protecting the bass,

Maybe i'll get lynched for this, maybe not, but thats the opinions of some of the anglers i've spoken to recently, perhaps we should be concentrating on the bigger picture!

Ubd

15,082 Posts
I totally agree Urly,It's time they culled them or even DROPPED the MLS size.They are taking over our Estuarys and eating everything in the sea that other species need to survive.
I would sign a petiton to put the MLS size to 25MLS not 45!!

Ron

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The reason you are seeing lots of tiny bass is because as soon as they reach anywhere near 36cm they are 'harvested'. Therefore the chances of shore anglers catching a decent sized fish are minimum at best.

The problem is NOT the number of bass in the sea but their size! More larger fish in the sea is and always has been the aim of the BASS MLS.

I find it amazing that serious anglers spend hours and hours bitching online about blanking and not catching anything of any size but can't spend an hour or 2 reading up on the issues?

So if as your avatar suggests you want to catch a few meals then I would back the MLS and maybe even join BASS.

Flyguy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Doesn't seem worth the effort Ron. I was assuming you'd have fewer problems with small sentences judging by the logic of your original post.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Rupe, tbh, you dont know ****.

Ron is right, if you reduce the MLS for a few years it would reduce the mass of schoolies around this island we live on.

And as for catching a sizeable bass for the plate.... 25cm MLS is increasing chances of a sizeable bass.

if you the conservative angler wish to put back this fish which you belive to be undersize, go ahead, we wont stop you, but we will bag up!

·
Registered
447 Posts
surely this is a conservation issue and shouldnt be here

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I dont understand this obsession with bass in the first place to be honest, people bleat on about their "sporting" quality's but the only reason they can be called that is because they come close enough to shore so that tackle can be scaled right down.

Locally in our rivers in Essex, bass from 2oz to 5lb aint exactly rare, in fact fish from 2oz to 1 1/2lb are nothing but a bloody nuisance from spring to Autumn.
Everyone goes on about the lack of breeding stock because of the low MLS but my question is, WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE ALL THESE UNDERSIZE FISH COMING FROM IF THERE IS A LACK OF BREEDING STOCK?

Bass numbers in this area, the Thames estuary, are at levels never known before!!
Im sure that in other areas things are different and I think its a shame we cant export some of these bait robbing fish from here to improve other stocks!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So I take you all think catching 1.5lb bass on heavy beach gear is good sport? Why go fishing when you can't even feel if you actually have a fish on?

If the MLS was reduced then you wouln't even catch these fish. Jesus, I really wonder about the IQ of sea anglers?

C

·
0 Posts
I would value some opinions on whether to close this. I personally do not feel that the original post is relevant to the SE. As you have all said we seem to have a glut of small bass and this is probably contributing to the demise of our other inshore species.
It may well be relevant to other areas but not ours. I will take a vote on whether to close it over the next 5 posts. Vote Yes to Close it or No to leave it Open for discussion. Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Before this is closed, maybe an experiment could quickly be suggested :)

No MLS for bass in Essex coastal waters. Business as usual elsewhere. Duration: 5 years.

Then we can find out which theory is the correct one :)

Cheers - John

·
Registered
234 Posts
You do have to remember that Bass is a very slow growing fish, and to get to large sizes takes a long time.
Not sure where the answer lies, I personally don't mind catching them, one thing I do reckon is that we should have no fishing zones for commercials, so you don't get the sea bed continously being torn up.
It has been proved that these areas allow the natural seabed to flourish and the higher organisms grow in greater numbers. The benefit of this is that fish that move on from these areas provide a basis for commercial catches and leisure fisherman alike.
By conserving the sea everyone will benefit.

Who doesn't agree with that?

Rich

A

·
0 Posts
So I take you all think catching 1.5lb bass on heavy beach gear is good sport? Why go fishing when you can't even feel if you actually have a fish on?

If the MLS was reduced then you wouln't even catch these fish. Jesus, I really wonder about the IQ of sea anglers?
My I.Q is 147

and I still think theres too many school bass, and they are in turn destroying the inshore fishing by devouring anything that is fish shaped and will fit down their necks

Ubd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.