World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've just got back from the marina, was using plugs on the east arm and near the beach and didnt seem to have hardly any interest. I saw a small school of bass near the rocks probably about the size of my lure and I saw a wrasse the size of my lure chase me up lol.

Now, what do you chaps think I'm better off targeting today its either:

A) Fishing with live prawns under a float for bass (near the start of the east arm.)

B) Fishing in a similar location with bread for mullet.

I've seen both bass and mullet around this area the last couple of days but the lure fishing this morning had put me off the bass a little bit. Will the prawns be a completely different story?

PS: the water is gin clear, I could make out the bottom very clearly at high tide.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not long been back from shoreham harbour (entrance by the rocks) quite a lot of fish showing close in think they were mullet,plenty of bait fish about, but unfortunatley nothing showing to lures, Dexters and Tobys.Again water very clear, very calm all looked good but they were'nt playing :sad2:

As to your question i think if it was me personally i'd go live prawn under a float.Best of luck whatever you try :fishing1:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
As Lancing man says I'd go with prawns as well.

I'll be trying the Dexters later on the local beach as there were tons of Macks there the other night when I had no rods with me :(

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
In my 2 years' experience Sussex bass go off the prawns around the start if August though I have caught decent fish in the last week of July. In fact I got completely thrashed by Pugs last August while I was trying prawn and he was fishing popper plugs. I think August is a good month to concentrate on mullet.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
i think the reason the bass go off the prawn at this time is the small pout are about and other baitfish are getting bigger.
a friend of mine had a nice bass to live pout at newhaven this very week,well done to andy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prawns did nothing down there today. Mind you it didnt look like anybody was catching anything. Saw a few pout and 1 garfish and the arm was very busy. Cheers for the advice guys, think I'll stick to plugs, live pout and mullet fishing for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts