World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing tonight as the tide was coming in over rocky ground and I could clearly see fish breaking the surface / turning and even a couple of jumps.

However no takes. I had a rod with soft crab or fresh lug, and another rod spinning many different lures and spinners. NO TAKES, not even a bite.

Thants why I think I might be mistaking bass for mullet - but I don't think so!

Do bass jump (or is it mackrel?) what are the main differences between bass and mullet appearance in the water?? (not birdseye view?)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
seen mullet on the beach just pocking ther noses obove the water!
buggers to catch when ther just sunning them selves like that!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I reckon a mullet mate, they roll about basking in the sun and will ignore food that is right in front of them - very frustrating!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Probably mullet, I made the same mistake when I was a youngster and enthusiastically told my father I saw hundreds of bass jumping out of the water etc

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
you can watch them doing that every day in plwhelli marins channel. just cruising and turning as they go by. huge fish and lots of shoals. cant tempt them with anything as they are traveling to the mud flats further into the marina.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thats a damn good question, I'm not sure but from a birds eye view, i was told that mullet have the pointer nose????

But there must be other ways fo telling them apart, surely some people have got a answer.

kelvin

·
Registered
462 Posts
mullet have the more blunt head, bass have the pointeer head, also mullet will "flash" roll over on they side and flash more than bass will, also look at how many fish there are mullet ill swim round in 20+ its not oftern u see that many bass round is it

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Hey kelvin, mullet definatly have blunter heads, after hours of throwing plugs at them and only having turns at them i've learned that now. Very valid point about the shoal size, but smaller bass ive seen bass to around 2lb [But genarally smaller] be in shoals easy 40 strong, great fun on a small spinning rod and a set of feathers with a plug behind them. but bigger bass seem to be in groups of maybe 4-7 where as big mullet will mingle with small mullet which reasults in massive shoals.

I think bass will only mingle with similer size fish because big bass will eat little bass.

·
Registered
741 Posts
if you can see them they are mullet, if you can't they are bass.

the mullet cruise around riding the waves but the bass stay hard on the bottom usually.

never seen mullet jump though, except when it was being charged at by a dolphin on a sandbank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
the 2 species do mingle together especially in the estuaries and bass dont stay hard on the bottom either if so explain why down here we catch them on a bubble float and live eel.
There wasnt by any chance a build up of weed there was there maybe on the shore line? Down here we get that, when the tide goes out going back down to neap tides the weed dries out allowing the flys to lay there eggs on the next set of springs when the weed gets washed out the mullet home in on the maggots. Prime time to fish for them from a beach with bread and maggots.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I reckon almost certainly Mullet!!

I have seen the same thing many times when I am out plugging!

You can see the Mullet on the surface, and often jumping, and if I cast a Popper over the top of them they will leap out of the way as I retrieve the lure. Bass, whatever the size will tend to hit the lure, even if they are too small to get the popper in their mouth, and I have tail hooked several small Bass that have hit the lure this way!

Swap to a baited spoon spinner and give that a go, or float or freeline some bread out to them. I reckon the Mullet would soon reveal themselves to you!:)

Cheers,

Frags

1 - 16 of 16 Posts