World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to use a running lead rig but with a reasonable long hook length (5 foot plus). I plan to use frozen sandeels as bait that will hopefully move around nicely in the tide with the longer snood.

Is there a good way of making this rig so it can be cast out a reasonable distance without the bait flapping around and tangling - i.e. clipped up or down but maintain a free running lead?

Thanks in advance
Dave

·
Registered
291 Posts
Try upturned pulley rig-clip the lead onto what is normally the central pulley swivel (or Link) and connect the end link to the running line- the swivel then reduces line twist- 5ft may be a bit long, but it wil stop the eel flapping around

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I normally use a running ledger(the lead can run between 4ft and 6ft between swivels) with somewhere between 8ft-12ft hook length, normally have a bait clip at the top (by shock leader) and put hook length up and over it and then down to a normal bait clip/grip wire. that way you only need a 4ft-6ft rig. Its not perfect but it works and makes it easier to cast.

Also have used them without and just lobbed it out. Last decent bass caught at about 15ft out :sneaky2:

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
yup.. the plums rig! 3 rigs in one and you can make it any length you chose,

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
There it is the Clipped running ledger is what I was trying to explain !!
Works a treat with very long hook lengths:thumbs:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys....especially like the up and over option..going to give them ago on Thursday.

Dave

P.S. BTW the best rig pictures I've seen!

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys....especially like the up and over option..going to give them ago on Thursday.

Dave

P.S. BTW the best rig pictures I've seen!
lol, you're welcome, 15 mins with coreldraw!

if you're hoofing the rig out be sure to use strong swivels, 80lb main sliding body and 40lb for the snood, i've never had one break on me yet! just be sure the snood is slightly shorter than the rig body so when using it as a pulley it'll still clip down.

when using with the d-vice, i wind the snood around three of four fingers and hold the loops tight against the back of the bait, away from the hook points and slide it all in, when it hits the water it'll all unfurl and the snood won't catch round the grippers or add drag in flight like a loose snood could.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Try upturned pulley rig-clip the lead onto what is normally the central pulley swivel (or Link) and connect the end link to the running line- the swivel then reduces line twist- 5ft may be a bit long, but it wil stop the eel flapping around
thats the crack i use mate works for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts